• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by KRO Brummie

1. K

Ian Lavender RIP

He was a great actor and played a brilliant part in Dad's Army. He was a Villa supporter - so, it has to be said - "Stupid Boy." I hope he would appreciate the joke. Condolences to his family and those close to him
  2. K

Barry Humphries

I saw Barry Humphries in Birmingham around the 1980's - possibly at the Town Hall. Many gladioli were thrown to an adoring crowd. Was single handedly responsible for the popularity of the gladioli and the possum. Was also very funny and a style icon.
  3. K

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

My memories of the Market Hall in the 1950's are quite small but two things - 1. My Grandad going there on Saturday afternoons when he finished work to buy meat and veg when they were being sold off at knock down prices. He had a family of 9 to feed so with weekly wages in his pocket he bought...
  4. K

Is This Your Motor?

Are you sure it's Aston, Martin ?
  5. K

School - Institute Road, Kings Heath

There was another school which was in Institute Rd many years before Bishop Challoner was built in the mid 50's. It was called Kings Heath Primary School and was split into Infants and Juniors with separate buildings and playgrounds. It was a wonderful Victorian styled building which added a lot...
  6. K

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

I passed my 11+ at King’s Heath Junior School in 1961 – one of just 8 in my class of 40+. I selected KE Camp Hill, Moseley Grammar and King’s Heath Tec (quite new then). After interviews I started at Moseley Grammar in Sept 1961. My story isn’t about school but what we owe to our parents and...
  7. K

Scout troupe Kings Heath

I went to the 130th Birmingham, 1st King’s Heath cubs and scouts in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s for about 5 years. I’m not sure if this post is still of interest to anyone but my memories are - The Leader was called Chief – Mr Rooker. Chief was helped by his older son who was a senior scout...
Back