• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by KJSScott

1. K

Tascos Co-op

I was born in Stirchley in 1953, and the shop that dominated was the Ten Acres & Stirchley Co Operative Society to give it its full title. It was an imposing building at the corners of the Pershore Rd and Umberslade Rd. It also had a Milk dairy just behind it. They had a barbers in the basement...
  2. K

Engineering Sayings

An old Foreman of mind at Lucas who was in the Navy in war used the saying for any big order "This ones going to be a Dockyard Job"
  3. K

Ashley Street November 1940

Ashley Street was heavly bombed in November 1940 so much so it no longer exsist. I am having trouble locating it in any Birmingham Street maps prior to 1940. Apparently it ran from Gooch Street to Bristol Street, Both my Grandparents lived in the Street prior to there wedding in May 1913.Has...
  4. K

Scott John of 109 Coventry St

JoHn Scott Hello Di.Poppit, I seem to be hitting a brick wall with John Scott. I have my Grandfathers birth certificate James Scott which states he was born at 109 Covenrty Street on the 20th of January 1892, his father was John Scott and mother Mary Scott formerly Donoghue. The birth...
  5. K

The Old Contemptibles, Edmund St and Livery St

Livery Street When I worked at Lucas GHSt in the late sixties I use to walk the full lenght of Livery Street into town to catch the bus home to Stirchley. Then they started building the Queensway which split it in two. Sometimes I would drop in the Old Contemptibles as it was just before you...
  6. K

PUBS OF MY CHILDHOOD

Pubs of my youth I've first stated drinking when I first started work at the Lucas apprentice School at GHSt in Hockley. We had a good choice the Lord Cliften just across GHst, the Church a little further down the road., The Pelican which was a new pub not one of my favorites. Also of course...
  7. K

John Scott Can you Look up John Scott of 109 Coventry Street in the 1891 census please. Thanks
  8. K

Lucas publications

Lucas in Birmingham I have a copy of a book called Lucas in Birmingham by Gordan Bunce and forwarded by Carl Chinn. Gordon as a supervisor at Great King Steet and Shaftmoore Lane, and the book contains some great photos from a lot of the Lucas sights. I will try and put some of this site as...
  9. K

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

Christmas Parties at the Serck I can always remember the Christmas parties at Serck radiators on the Warwick Rd in the 50s and 60s. Sometimes they would take us to the pantomine at the Hipp. Othere times it was a party at the works. It was always a few weeks after Christmas so we always got a...
  10. K

Lucas Engineering School Great Hampton Street

I joined the LES in September 1969, this was then regarded as one of the best apprentice schools in the country. It was in the oldest part of GHSt next to the factory. though we had no direct contact with the factory other than using the works canteen at morning break and lunchtime. I served the...
  11. K

Ashley Street

Ashley Street ran between Gooch Street and Bristol Street, can any one confirm that this Street was destroyed by German bombs in November 1940, I know it no longer exsist in the Birmingham A-Z
  12. K

St Edwards RC Church & School Selly Park

I cannot find any History about this school, I started in 1957 and the head mistress was a nun as were many of the teachers. The school is still going but on different premises, does anybody know the history of this school ?
  13. K

James Scott POW

My Grandad was a captured in the trenches on the western front in 1915, he spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. Is there any records of troops who were prisoners in such camps. I think he was in the Royal Warwicks but I cannot be sure
  14. K

Mary Scott To John Young, You mentioned a Mary Scott living in Blucher street when the 1901 census was taken. Her father was John Day, there is a record of a John Day living at 69 Blucher Street at the time of the 1881 census. Do you know what address Mary Scott was living in Blucher Street...
  15. K

John Scott Thanks John, Here is all info I have at the moment- My Grandfathers Birth Certificate - Born -20/01/1892 Name - James, Born at 109 Coventry Street. Father- John Scott Mother - Mary Scott formerly Donoghue. Fathers Profession - Travellers Porter My Grandmothers Birth...
Back