• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Key Hill Brian

1. Key Hill Brian

Chamberlain family

Correct!
  2. Key Hill Brian

Icknield Street Alert!

Viv you have to remember Icknield st was 1 lane wide each way - the bit of road on the right of the pic. Before it was widened - this half of the dual carriageway was the 10 buildings shown on the map below from the church to the corner. You would be standing in some ones back yard back in the...
  3. Key Hill Brian

St George's Church Newtown

Would have loved to see it before it was demolished
  4. Key Hill Brian

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Hi Anne, Do not come on often so only just saw this thread. My Maternal Gran's 1st husband is on the memorial - Walter Edwin Knight. (I am from her 2nd husband) His surviving son Wilfred Henry George emigrated to Australia in 1956 with his family. One of his son's (David Knight) eventually...
  5. Key Hill Brian

Lodge Hill Cemetery

1b Raddlebarn road is the official postal Address of Selly oak Hospital, recently demolished and a new housing estate built upon the site
  6. Key Hill Brian

Public graves at Warstone Lane

The Registers (held at Handsworth Cemetery start at Burial 1and are continued (even today there are odd burials in existing family plots). If the Burial is in a Public Grave, Midland Ancestors (ex BMSGH) have on their computer in Margaret St the ability to list all in a known single grave - The...
  7. Key Hill Brian

Public graves at Warstone Lane

19381 means he is the 19,381st record in the register. G 10120 is the Grave number - area on Pittsford St, next area down from Section H which borders Pittsford St & Vyse St. Very few gravestones in the area
  8. Key Hill Brian

Links : Jewellery Quarter Research Group (now Trust) site

if you google them - you get jqrt - seems it is now a trust not a group
  9. Key Hill Brian

Little king st hockley

Great shot. we must have been about the N in King we were facing a factory. shows our back yards , but cannot focus in enough to see which one!
  10. Key Hill Brian

Little king st hockley

all the odd n umbers were on one side of the St, Even numbers over the road We lived at 79, we had friends at 69 which was the next "block" along towards Great King St. 61 may have been the end house of their block? I vaguely recall a factory with big blank end wall being at the end of their block.
  11. Key Hill Brian

Lucas Great King Street memories

Great - I can see my old house - between the L & I of Little backing on to Bridge St west - 1st house, 3rd block from Guest st end!
  12. Key Hill Brian

Thats it Lyn, they bent Gt King st when they redeveloped the area. The original lucas factory was much smaller than the Gt King st site and was near the end of little king st, I understand near to the juct of the original Gt King st.
  13. Key Hill Brian

I believe it is supposed to be on the site of the original factory, which was in Little King St, Off Gt King ST, but niow buried under the grass when the roads were mucjked about with during the rebuild of the area
  14. Key Hill Brian

Workhouse Death - 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak

Usually burial arranged by the Workhouse - cheapest possible burial in Cemetery, depending upon date of death. Not always nearest Cemetery either - depends on which ones were open and pricing policy. Death date essential to locate record in Cemetery Index
  15. Key Hill Brian

Hockley Hill

Hui Lyn used to have a school friend who lived on the right just beyond the brook in a front house - Martin Inshaw - only child who's parents both worked - he had more toys and corgi cars than my entire family! Sadly they moved about 1964-5 during the holidays and never left a forwarding...
Back