• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by kdharrison

1. K

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

Following from my aged post in this thread, re; my Great Grandfather William (Darling) Harrison. He is listed in Kellys Directory for 1915 as a manufacturing jeweller, at 54 Albion Street (JW Evans), however he is gone by 1920, so will need to dig a little more for him. Born in 1881, he came...
  2. K

Lightwoods Park and House, Bearwood

The Lightwoods Park and House Restoration proposals are live today and can also be viewed here https://www.cfpuk.co.uk/lightwoods/roadshow.html This goes to the web page with explanatory text, links to the 3 panels and a link to the survey. Please show your support and view the proposals...
  3. K

David, I have no knowledge of any further back than William Harrison. I was told that his middle name was "Darling", by my grandmother. I may have got the year wrong in the Kelly's directory, but in 1912 my grandfather Harry Harrison was born and William Harrison was living in Sutton Coldfield...
  4. K

Lightwoods Park, Bearwood

Here you go Ell, just a small selection of the images from my visit to Lightwoods House. Pic. 1 is the lightwell, 2 is one of the lounge rooms and the 3rd is the main hall
  5. K

Just by way of an update, I have just picked this up from Smethwick Local History Society "Lightwoods Park Sandwell MBC has set aside £1.25M for the restoration project with a further £80k p.a. being allocated for annual maintenance. Much needed refurbishment work has now begun on Lightwoods...
  6. K

Its a little later than your posts, but my great grandfather William Harrison is listed in the Kelly's Directory for circa 1912 as a Jeweller in Albion Street in the Jewellery Quarter.
  7. K

I had the opportunity to make a photographic record of the building and its interior last autumn immediately prior to it's return to Sandwell from Birmingham. I spent a whole day systematically photographing each room, from top to bottom recording its condition and noting any significant points...
  8. K

Smethwick

My project to photograph the listed buildings in Smethwick is nearing completion, with final images to be completed in the next few weeks when the final location has been photographed. Some images are on my site now, and I'm currently preparing for an exhibition and book to be available when...
  9. K

Smethwick

I have lived in Smethwick for the last 12 years after crossing the border as a refugee from Birmingham and have become fascinated in the amount of local history in such a small area. I picked up an Alton Douglas book last year from Thimblemill Library which was full of pictures and information...
Back