• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Katrina

1. K

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hi Pauline I have the will. If you email me on [email protected] I will send it to you rather than via the forum for privacy.
  2. K

I have attached his medal files.
  3. K

Hi Pauline Do you have his soldiers will? I have found a copy, just waiting for it to be downloaded if you want it? Also details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the medals he was awarded. I have tried looking for him on the National War Role with no joy I am afraid.....
  4. K

Hi Paul Have you looked on Ancestry? There are several mentions of a Bertram Brittle on there. St Johns were very helpful when I was looking for info on my grandfather who was also in the regiment.
  5. K

Hospital Dudley Road

Hi Lyn SEN stands for State Enrolled Nurse which was a very practical hands on role which nowadays is done by Health Care Assistants. SRN stands for State Registered Nurse which was a longer more academic course. The SEN role has now gone and all nurses had to undergo further training if they...
  6. K

Listed Buildings in Aston Ward.

Hi Thank you for this, my 4 x grandfather ran the pub in the 1800's. So please it is still open following Rose the landlady's retirement last year.
  7. K

Canal boat operators used by Showells Brewery/ Langley malting

Hi Charles Could you email me please so we can share family information [email protected] I would love to hear from you. Interestingly this forum held its Christmas get together at the pub which is in Price Street. I am not sure how long it will exist for now the current landlady...
  8. K

Canal boat operators used by Showells Brewery/ Langley malting

hi Lewis I would love to know why you have an interest in this brewery. It was owned by my ancestors and there is a pub in Birmingham still in use which was owned by the Showells. Kind regards Katrina
  9. K

showell's brewery

Hi, thank you for the info about the brewery. I have been so busy with work lately I haven't had time to any research................. Must take a potter over to Langley Green to have a look.
  10. K

H.P Sauce Birmingham

My parents ran the Eagle pub just round the corner from the HP factory so I grew up with the smell of the sauce as I went to school each day. Cannot remember the name of the school though but think it was girls only?? (It was a long time ago...). Memories of mum and dad going to the market on...
  11. K

Old street pics..

Many thanks for your prompt reply Phil. There was certainly a distinctive smell from the factory, does anyone else remember it?? The Cross Keys was a pub that my dad ran but that might have been nearer to the Bull Ring. But he also at one point ran a pub at Cross Keys it might have been The...
  12. K

Old street pics..

Is there a Cross Keys pub in the old map?
  13. K

Old street pics..

I am sure I remember Aston Cross from my childhood but seem also to remember the smell of the brown sauce factory. Wasn't that nearby??
  14. K

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Hi Anita Do you have any pictures of Inkerman Street in Aston please? Katrina
  15. K

BhF Christmas Meet 2014 On the Day

Ken and I had a great time at the meet, lovely to put names to faces. Great food, great company. Many thanks to Lynn for organising it. Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a happy & peaceful new year.