• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Kathtap217

1. K

Swan Inn/White Swan/Spring Gardens - Floodgate Street

Hello again, James Hill, my great grandfather wasn’t born until 1857. it is confusing, there was another James Hill (gunmaker) that you may have detected. Many thanks for your interest.
  2. K

Thanks MWS. I do have the information you have given and James died following an accident at work from lockjaw. However, he is the publican on my photograph, or maybe helping out Charles at the Royal Oak, but I am sure the White Swan is the pub on the photo. My great Aunt, born in 1890, told us...
  3. K

Sorry folks, I am trying to attach the photo but no success. Only loading to 92%
  4. K

Photograph I thought I had attached!
  5. K

Hello, I am interested in the previous messages regarding the White Swan (now the Ruin) which I visited this morning, together with the old Royal Oak at 1 Barn Street. My Great grandfather ran a pub in 1890/1898 and have verbal confirmation of this from one of his daughters who was my great...
  6. K

Can anyone decipher this?

Hello Lyn, I think I have read all the posts for Berners street and looked at maps, photos, Google photos etc. all very interesting and I really am very grateful to you and everyone else who has given information about the area. It really does revive old memories. So much history in just one...
  7. K

Thank you lyn, no I haven’t seen the photos yet. This is where I am a bit confused, difference between threads and these messages
  8. K

I have been able to cement my memory of the route to my grandfathers after looking at the map posted it all makes sense. Thank you all for your help
  9. K

I replied under one of the maps posted by John and left a couple of replies there, I think,
  10. K

Yes, thank you I did see it and hoped I had thanked everyone, but I replied to John on another map he posted elsewhere. I am still a bit confused re replies apart from here. I must admit I was so excited to hear from anyone, even though I had read all the Berners Street posts. I am researching...
  11. K

Berners Street, Lozells

Thank you John, I am still getting used to this site, not sure if I have managed to thank everyone but ticked the appreciate buttons on the forum page. I have read all the posts, absolutely fascinating, my great grandfather James Hill was a landlord for a short time of a corner pub, not sure if...
  12. K

I think the bus must have gone along Gerrard Street, Mom sometimes took grandad a bottle of beer from an outdoor? The gunmakers Arms was closed today. looks as if it’s been closed for a while.
  13. K

Thanks so many of you for your rapid responses and knowledge. Yes, grandad was Frank and there were six children.
Back