• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Kathsutton46

1. K

George Dixons Grammar School

Hello ladies, can either of you identify any of the teachers in the attached photo, which was taken inn1946. I can recognise Miss Bund, Miss Curry, Miss Saul, Miss Player.
  2. K

Bats theme

How can I stop the annoying bats, distracting me, I can't cope with them.
  3. K

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

the photo you posted is not the same Lozells picture House that was bombed in WW2. Your posted photo is of the original Lozells Picture Palace/House situated opposite William Streeet and next door to the Co-op and a few doors from the Bank on the corner of Lozells Road and Birchfield Road...
  4. K

I have been on this site for years, and am disappointed so few girls have responded. I attended GD Grammar for Girls, 1957 1962.
  5. K

I recall Miss Whitehead doing English literature, did she not go on to be Headmistress at Lordsword Girls. Mrs Ventnor I think her name was, down in the basement art room sitting at her potters wheel. I too enjoyed watching the boys from KEFWs playing rugby outside the Music Room. Who could...
  6. K

Norton's of Key Hill

Thanks for sharing your family portrait. My Mother was a customer of Nortons for years and years. Clothes, shoes, curtain material, bed linen, occasional furniture. It all came from Nortons. When we went posh changing from a carpet square and lino to fitted carpet in the late 1960s it came...
  7. K

Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Co

One of my husbands ancesters was a works policeman at the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Works according to the 1911 Census, I wonder if it was him. He previously had been in the Grenadier Guards.
  8. K

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Thank you very much for posting this photo, you are quite right where you have placed it with Francis Road and Carpenters in sight. I think it was early 1900s.
  9. K

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

I remember Doctor Humphries and a Doctor Mott, they shared a surgery in Gerrard Street, Lozells. Dr. Humphries was a balding short rotund man. I can also remember going to the surgery and sitting on the hard wooden chairs or bench waiting for your turn to see the Doctor.
  10. K

Wagon & Horses Heneage Street

Hello, It's 8 years since you submitted this information and today Ihave found it very helpful. Thank you.
  11. K

Hannah's Greetings Card Wholesalers, Lozells

As soon as I read the name, it rang a bell, I think NOT 100% sure it was in a big house on the corner of Lozells Road and Finch Road, somewhere close to Crowder and Brown.
  12. K

Old street pics..

Thanks for the information.
  13. K

Old street pics..

I know Lozells Street quite well, my family coming from Lozells. I would therefore assume it was the Registrar himself who lived at number 23. Co-incidence or what a relative of mine according to the Electoral Rolls was living at 23 Lozells Street, in 1955.
  14. K

Old street pics..

Yes my Grandparents were married in Birmingham Register Office 1912, just wondered where it was.
Back