• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by karro

1. K

Housing : Living conditions

Thanks so all your comments. If taking a bath was such a task in the 1930's one can only assume that it must have even more of a task around the 1880's. I imagine that wash stands must have been quite common, but I doubt that one could actually take a bath that way, more like what my mom...
  2. K

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just requested the book from the library.
  3. K

Does anyone have any information about how often would an average working class person would have bathed about 1880-90? What method of batheing would have been most common? In a tub of some sort or would they simply use a washcloth? I haven't been able to locate any information on the...
  4. K

Allan Line Steamers - Steamship travel in 1889

Thanks so much for all the input. I'd love to read the newspaper article that was posted. I've been searching for weeks for information about the Polynesian. The only information I've found is about a crash with "Clyde" another ship. Is there anyway that you can post a larger readable...
  5. K

Thanks for the tips. I have read that the Polynesian was called Rolling Poly. Not being much of a seafarer myself, I'm having some difficulty imagining this. i'm assuming that it means the ship rocks easily and that there would be more seasickness. Can anyone elaborate??? (I wish I could...
  6. K

My great grandparents & their childern travelled to Canada in 1889 (on the Polynesian i believe). I'm trying to find out what it would have been like to travel on a steamer. it appears that they travelled STEERAGE. They were definately not in a cabin. I have the Shiplist with the passengers...
  7. K

Brandwood End cemetery

I just recieved a reply from Handsworth cemeteries. Unfortunately their records does not include the plot numbers for either Ann or Richard. Although its unfortuante not to have their exact resting place, I'm really pleased to have found where they are buried. Thanks so much to all those who...
  8. K

St Thomas Church Bath Row

Does anyone have access to the St Thomas parish records? My great great-grandmother Ellen Skinner was baptised there on April 27th 1856. Her mother Sarah Skinner was unmarried. I was wondering if there were any notes made on the records by the Vicar at the time. Anything additional...
  9. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of the numbering. I'm going to write Handsworth Cemetery again using the correct terminology. "Burial reference number". Hopefully they will be able to provide the plot numbers. the catacombs are fascinating!!!! Cheers Karro
  10. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Brian & Leslam Just recieved a reply from Handsworth Cemetaries saying: "The information we provide free of charge is the grave location only. Any further information, however great or small require additional research and therefore will incur the fee of £10.00 per search. If your relatives...
  11. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Thanks for your generous offers Brian & Leslam. I sent an email yesterday to the address in #13 asking for as much information as they can provide. I'll let you know when I get a reply. Cheers Karro
  12. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Thank you sooo much Brian!! It is really wonderful to find their burial place. Thanks to everyone that assisted me in my search. Cheers Karro
  13. K

Brandwood End cemetery

I just realised that Richard and Ann Burley baptised all their children at St Martins in Birmingham. Perhaps they were buried there. Does anyone have access to the burial records for St Martin's???? Cheers Karro
  14. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Steve Thanks so much for your time and effort. At least I know where she's not buried. She is probably buried with her husband Richard who died in 1855 in Birmingham but I haven't been able to locate him either. Best wishes Karro
  15. K

Brandwood End cemetery

Thanks so much Steve. Not living in England makes it difficult to get this kind of information with the kindness of those such as yourself. Cheers
Back