• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by jwp

1. J

Army service medals

I have recently used Worcester medal service. Excellent service.
  2. J

School trips from Brum.

Re post 12. My class at Billesley School Juniors also went to the Festival of Britain in 1951. Unfortunately, my parents couldn't afford the fare so I missed out. There were 2 of us left in the class that day.
  3. J

National Service

Lynn, re post 1477. If you look at" what does REME" mean thread, just below this thread, I have given website details to obtain Army records. It is a cap badge George V1 pattern of Royal Army Ordnance Corps. The only connection with Royal Artillery is we supply the ammunition and our patron...
  4. J

What does REME MEAN.

It is possible to obtain a copy of service records, Full details are given on www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records you can also go to www.veterans-uk.info for more info. There is a form to complete and small charge. It can take some months for records to arrive, so as...
  5. J

Can anyone identify this please?

This is part of a Masonic breast jewel known as a Centenary jewel. It would have been attached to a blue ribbon with the number of the Lodge on bar on the ribbon. The year date is year the Lodge was founded. It would have been worn by all Lodge members in 1952.
  6. J

WW2 records

The site you want is www.veterans-uk.info This will guide you to a downloadable form for completion. The cost is £30 and records can take some months. The records details will also contain a list of abbreviations. I have done it for my wife's deceased mother and father.
  7. J

MAURICE Gents Hairdresser Stoney Lane Sparkbrook

I remember myself and Taffy Price going there in about 1955/56 on our way home from school. We had a crew cut and when I got home, my mother wasn't impressed!
  8. J

Help identify this uniform

I also suspect it is a civilian band uniform. The braiding on his cap is unusual for a military style.
  9. J

Kings Heath station

The picture of the rail station brought back memories. My dad was a lorry driver for Eaves on the left in the 40s and early 50s until they closed. The coal yard on the right changed to Lanes, I used to go to school with Donald Lane the owner's son.
  10. J

Kings Heath Football Team-1939

Not much help, but the boy at the front is wearing a Moseley Grammar School cap
  11. J

Festival of Britain 1951

I remember my class at Billesley Junior School going, simply for the reason that my parents could not afford £1.00 for the trip. I think there were two of us in the class who didn't go but at the time I wasn't too bothered, it was only in later years that I realised I missed a Great exhibition.
  12. J

Moseley Secondary School.

there is a a website for the Secondary School and Grammar at www.moseleians.co.uk
  13. J

National Memorial Arboretum

Visited there on Wednesday, brilliant weather. It is Armed Forces Week and on Saturday27th June it is Armed Forces Day, activities are: 10.50 Service of Thanksgiving Band of Royal Marines 11.30 RAF REgiment Association Annual Service of Remembrance 12 noon Display by the Band of the Royal...
  14. J

Print Family

Yes that is correct. I have the the relevant census transcripts going back to 1841 and identified my great great grandfather Thomas born in Idlicote 1804. I am now trying to spread the family tree. I know I had cousins in Birmingham, but lost touch being in the Army for 32 years.
  15. J

Print Family

I have over the years been tracing the Print family. I left Birmingham in 1958 on joining the Army. I am the son of Thomas & Rose Print of Billesley & grandson of Rowland and Mary Print who lived in St Marks Street Ladywood. When I google Print family, you can imagine what results I get!
Back