• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Junie

1. J

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

When Longmeadow Girls School closed down the school photographs were handed into Shard End Library. They have been placed in ring binders by the Local History Society group and if anyone wishes to view them ask at the counter and they will be taken out of the cupboard for you. The photographs...
  2. J

Horse and Jockey - Bordesley Park Road

Rodlid. The Retreat, according to a friend of mine no longer with us, was a residential yard of back to backs almost opposite the Horse and Jockey. She and her husband first lived there as newly weds round about 1948/1950. Some time back I saw a photograph I think of a Coronation party in the...
  3. J

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

Hi Jen Re, Longmeadow Girls Secondary School. When the school closed down the Headmistress gave the school photographs to Shard End Library. They are in the Local History folders and if you go into the Library they will get them out of the cupboard for you to view. The nearby boys school...
  4. J

the barrel inn watery lane

I lived in the maisonettes from 1941 until 1949. Firstly on Coventry Road when we lived with my grandfather after being bombed out, then on Kingston Hill opposite the park. I remember the name Phillips....was Brian's mother known as Dolly? Next door to the 'Barrel' was a little shop and the...
  5. J

"Buddy Padmore"

Jean It puzzles me as to why 'Buddy' was not recorded on the CWGC website, irrespective that his death was the day after the war ended. I had a 17 year old cousin boy sailor who died as a result of an accident on board HMS Devonshire in October 1940 and his name is on the CWGC website and...
  6. J

Tilton Road bordesley green

Col h Please look at posting no's. 23 and 25 and you will see that the first photograph is of Garrison Lane School and the second one is of Tilton Road. I attended both. Junie.
  7. J

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

Kenaldis You are in good company.....Carl Chinn was born there. Junie
  8. J

Ideal Cafe, Coventry Road

No. The original library building (my beautiful red brick library) is the mosque and the adjoining swimming baths where I learned to swim are I believe some sort of muslim community rooms. See - just found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lane_Masjid Junie.
  9. J

Ideal Cafe, Coventry Road

Catsclaws, Another suggestion for you....immediately after Wimbushes, on the left was Little Green Lane and this formed a fork with Green Lane and on the apex of these two roads was Green Lane Library (which was my library and now a mosque). Also immediately before Wimbushes was a small road...
  10. J

Typhoo Tea Bordesley Street Digbeth

Thank you Beamish. I had forgotten about the book....I went to a talk about Typhoo and the tea industry at about the same time that the book was published. I will have to get it out from the library again sometime in the near future. Do not have time to read books at the present time! Have...
  11. J

Typhoo Tea Bordesley Street Digbeth

Beamish What is your interest in Typhoo Tea? Did you work there? I remember Mr Pedvin, he is the one on the right. Junie
  12. J

Bombing Brum

Chris M Thank you Chris. It is an amazing story of bravery, especially of the Rescuers. However, there is an error...it should read that 53 workers were killed at the BSA that night not 83. Loved your story about New Street. Junie
  13. J

Pink Germolene

My Mom used to rub our chests with camphorated oil! You can still get it from the chemist shop at the Black Country Museum. Junie
  14. J

Bombing Brum

Enter the following dates on 'date of death' on the Swanshurst/barra website and try to imagine what it was like. Unless you were there at the time...it is impossible. 25/10/1940, 26/10/1940, 19/11/1940, 22/11/1940, 23/11/1940, 11/12/1940, 10/04/1941, 17/05/1941 and 30/07/1942. There are...
  15. J

Bombing Brum

Terry Court. Terry have a look at this. One man's story of the raid on the BSA. https://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/32/a2116432.shtml Sheri Go on the Swanshurst/Barra website as above and enter on 'location of death' Acocks Green. This gives you some information. Junie
Back