• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by JuliaP

1. J

Elmdon Airport

Watched BA 747s departure on BBC News this morning (got fed up waiting for Sky to do it!). They actually took off in tandem, due to the poor weather conditions. Saw the one land at Kemble on FR24. The scrapyard at St Athan was featured on recent tv series. Very interesting. Had spotting day at...
  2. J

Park Hall School Castle Bromwich

Janice Thanks for pointing me in right direction. The school adopted the coat of arms of the Arden family, residents of Park Hall. Wish all history was as easy...
  3. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Went to Opposite Lock many times. Believe the owner was Martin Hone who was organiser of Birmingham Grand Prix. Remember the grid markings on Bristol Street for many years after the last race. Elbow Room and Locarno also visited. Most memorable was Barbarellas, by the Crescent Theatre. Saw The...
  4. J

Park Hall School Castle Bromwich

Hi, can anyone help please? My 15 year old niece is at Park Hall Academy and she doesn't know the answer to this. The coat of arms/badge they have is very interesting. The crosses look like Eurofighter aircraft! Can anyone explain the meaning behind these symbols or am I reading more into it...
  5. J

Emirates A380 returning to BHX

Bob Aviation media has reported extensively on effects of Covid on this sector. I draw my blog content from many sources so would have to go through articles to sort out specifics for you. The site I write for is theplanespotterscommunity.co.uk The Qantas Captain, now retired due to Covid...
  6. J

Mitchells & Butlers Fire Brigade

Thanks! The 1950s one is just how I remember them. Given me a cold shiver now, after 55 years away from the area.
  7. J

Lucas Mere Green

You may be aware but site has been purchased by Aldi or Lidl (sorry can't remember which!). It's ready for building on but many objections from locals. Opposite a large Sainsburys, the main objection is traffic as right turn into Sainsburys is a nightmare even at quiet times, but there's no...
  8. J

Mitchells & Butlers Fire Brigade

Anyone else remember the M&B Fire Brigade at the brewery in Cape Hill, Smethwick. Used to live in Raglan Road as a child and was traumatised by sight of fire engines almost every Friday for a practice. The clanging bell reminded me of Keystone Cops movies, lol! There was something called the...
  9. J

Emirates A380 returning to BHX

Reason why some are being scrapped is they were early ones. As improvements were made, they became 20% lighter therefore more economical. Emirates, along with lots of airlines, getting government help regardless of their fleet. There's lots of 787s in storage too. Qantas anticipate bringing...
Back