• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by -jules

1. J

James Watt Street

Well, it's given me something to try and find out! Thanks for replying Phil. :)
  2. J

James Watt Street

Hi Phil, I have been looking for information about the army recruiting office in James Watt Street and was pleased to find this photo. Do you know when the recruiting offices moved please? Or did you mean the navy recruiting offices moved across the road? Thanks very much. Jules.
  3. J

Army & R A F Recruiting Offices

Just to update this a little. I contacted Birmingham Archives and the historian there was kind enough to confirm that when my Grandad enlisted in 1929, James Watt Street was - at that time - the only Army Recruiting Office listed. Thanks again for all the help offered here. Regards. Jules.
  4. J

Wow! Thanks all for your input. And thanks so much Ray for the description. If that was the only Army Recruiting office around late 20's early 30's then I'm quite hopeful it's the one I am looking for. Would the other Recruiting offices be mentioned in the directory if they still existed do you...
  5. J

Dear Mike, that is a brilliant help. Thank you. Just done a google search and found a WW1 reference for Army recruiting office James Watt Street - Are you any good with ww2 and the middle east? :D Ray what was the place like? I'm planning on writing up what I can find out for my dad and...
  6. J

Hello all, I'm Jules and I have been researching my Grandad's Army Service Record. Most of my research to date has been the WW2 period. It was a member from a ww2 forum who told me about this Birmingham History Forum and that I may be able to get some help here. My Grandad was born in...
Back