• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by JudyTink

1. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

I've got a footer warning re Header Section Tool Too Large. What's this about? I'm dropping out now till it goes.
  2. J

The Roundhouse

With reference to The Roundhouse, a relative recently had a guided tour when it was mentioned that someone had been killed there during its construction. It may have been an ancestor of our family. Dooes anyone know the man's name please?
  3. J

Bill Dargue

Such a friendly man and so approachable. So sorry to hear this.
  4. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

In the 1940s/1950s my dad Alec Bradbury had a corn and seed merchants shop at the junction of Highfield Road with Alum Rock Road. There was a very deep dark cellar outside on the pavement covered with a wooden lid. The shop had a very wierd smell I seem to remember.
  5. J

IRISH RECORDS ONLINE

Thank you for the above information everybody.
  6. J

John Alfred Hawker

Thank you for your detailed account of the early Brierley Hill glass making industry in the 1800s. Obviously it was just a family wish and a story developed, just as the same family reckoned connection to Blakemores (Spar) through the husband of Edith Silvers, Joseph Henry Blakemore!;)
  7. J

John Alfred Hawker

Yes, thank you,that is the guy who is an ancestor of my husband. Disappointing because even far back they all seemed to be shoemakers. His family roots go far back to Dudley but maybe a sibling was in the glass industry. That's the story spread throughout the family and then there are those...
  8. J

John Alfred Hawker

Thank you for your most interesting reply. You have certainly put some effort into it. I now need to trace Francis Silvers back from his home at Heneage Street, Aston, to his roots in Dudley, to see whether he himself was working in the glass industry.
  9. J

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery

That's sad news. An art history visit and coffee there is a frequent outing.
  10. J

The Youth Club

I was also a member of the 13 club c1956-60.
  11. J

Group photos

My husband is a John Hawker and he was at WB c1956-1961 I think! He subsequently became a draughtsman if that helps.
  12. J

John Alfred Hawker

Thank you for your prompt reply. There's absolutely no rush to respond. Enjoy your holiday. J
  13. J

Union Glassworks

Can you possibly throw any further light on Isaac Hawker and his son John Alfred Hawker? Where they came from etc. please. Also, if you have the time, another of my husband's ancestors with the name Silvers, was supposed to be connected to glass manufacturing in Birmingham, but I can only find...
  14. J

John Alfred Hawker

Can you possibly throw any further light on Isaac Hawker and his son John Alfred Hawker? Where they came from etc. please. Also, if you have the time, another of my husband's ancestors with the name Silvers, was supposed to be connected to glass manufacturing in Birmingham, but I can only find...
  15. J

Group photos

I was 2 months old and lived in Hodge Hill Road at the time.
Back