• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by JudiM

1. JudiM

Birmingham's Working Horses

Cobs are great. Hardy & strong. Mine had some of the cob musculature going on - and big feet!
  2. JudiM

That sounds like a good deal!
  3. JudiM

Yes, a grass kept horse or pony will require very little in the way of supplementary feeding when there is plenty of grass but it's the other costs that creep up. Where I kept mine, the monthly rent paid to the landowner included him putting hay out in the winter months (and in drought periods...
  4. JudiM

British natives will do fine in our weather as long as there is some shelter from strong winds & driving rain - a good tall hedge for instance. Unless we have extremely out of the ordinary, or out of season, cold, they'll be just fine. They will have thick winter costs adapted to keep them...
  5. JudiM

Castle Street

I think there could have been an answer in this thread, but the photos have gone - https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/van-allen-clothes-shops.10597/post-306867
  6. JudiM

Castle Street

I was wondering that, but I'm not sure. The Pavilions went up in the later 80's, after the Co-op was demolished. I don't remember being able to cut through all the way down to Moor Street before then, which I'm sure I would have done as I came into Town usually on the train to & from Moor...
  7. JudiM

Castle Street

Castle Street as it was a couple of days ago. When did it get blocked off? I can certainly remember the entrance to the hairdressers who's sign is still there, but not sure if it was open all the way to Moor Street in my lifetime.
  8. JudiM

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

I used to love the Natural History department. Was always my first ports of call as a child & as an adult too. I was really disappointed when the department went. I know some specimens got damaged by flooding, so they must have taken the decision to revamp that area entirely.
  9. JudiM

Lawton ltd

My dad worked there too. From his teens possibly until he was made redundant when they closed in early 80's. He became the maintenance engineer so would often work when the factory was in shutdown in the summer to overhaul & service the plant. He'd often go in on a Saturday too & I'd go with...
  10. JudiM

Gas Street basin

Different angle, but how it looks today - well a couple of years ago when I took the picture!
  11. JudiM

Gas Street basin

Fabulous picture. Love that it's still recognisibly the same place.
  12. JudiM

Gas Street basin

I'd always thought that it was called Gas Street because it was the first Birmingham street to be lit with gas lamps. Don't know where I heard that from (probably in a book a long time ago). It would make sense that the first lamps would be there if it was adjacent to Gas works.
  13. JudiM

Old street pics..

Just Just love the little face peeking out between the sides of meat in the left hand window. Wonder if he was the shop's boy who wanted to get in on the photo, but wasn't important enough to stand with the family group outside?
  14. JudiM

Curzon Street Railway Station

Maybe they can incorporate son It would make a great exhibition space.
  15. JudiM

Elmdon Hall

I spotted onr by my house (Frankley) a couple of years ago. Looks like they are spreading North from the established colonies round London.
Back