• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by JonnyH

1. J

Martin Shaw.

My Mom always said she went to the same school as him. She grew up in Ringinglow Road, Kingstanding, which I believe is around where he lived?
  2. J

Wooden kitchen countertops

I would recommend cleaning and sanding as per Morturn's advice but finish with Danish Oil which is much better suited for purpose as it is both water resistant and food safe. It is used to polish up pub bar counters as well. It is widely available, try Screwfix.
  3. J

Birmingham Irish

Hi Nico, yes it is a music venue. It was set up by Tom Martin a well known local musician in Kings Norton. Tom set it up to cater for original acts, roots, blues folk etc and singer songwriters as opposed to tribute acts. I believe Tom was part of the Songwriters Circle from the 80's and some of...
  4. J

Birmingham Irish

My friend used to own the Tower of Song in Kings Norton. Tommy Dempsey used to play regularly up until quite recently, his band now being called Dempsey's Lot. Brilliant performer, as much a stand up comedian as singer. It's under new management now so I don't know if Tommy still plays there.
  5. J

Jay Blades : The Midlands Through Time

I found the part about the pub bombings interesting. Not wishing to bring up any bad memories for anybody, apologies if I have, but my uncle was a ranking policeman at the time and had a direct involvement in the aftermath so I have always looked for any information about this. My next door...
  6. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I can't believe I thought the pub and army & navy store were the opposite way round, but seeing that picture brings it all back now. Saturdays were spent in Ozzies for a jacket, Matador for a pint and then down to Reddingtons to buy some rare or imported vinyl.
  7. J

Hi Lloyd, thank you for that. Yes this is indeed the pub I was referring to.
  8. J

Groups We Have Seen Live

Wow, I was at loads of those gigs, used to be at the Odeon practically every week. Great memories.
  9. J

The Elbow Room Aston

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. A shame as it used to be a good night out.
  10. J

I used to be (still am) a big rock music fan. There used to be a local programme on BBC1 at 7.30 on a tuesday called something like sight and sound. Afterwards the 2 presenters used to host a rock night at Romeo and Juliets and whichever band had played on the programme used to play a gig there...
  11. J

The Elbow Room Aston

Back when I worked in the NHS at Selly Oak Hospital, a friend of mine helped treat Albert's mother and as a result Albert gave him a membership card, gold I think. So after a late shift or on call we used to be able to turn up and walk in without queuing. Sometimes Albert would invite us into...
  12. J

Austin Village, Turves Green

My wife grew up there, we nearly bought the house she grew up in in the early nineties. If I remember correctly we could have got it for around £35k, they fetch around £150k ish these days. I believe the estate is now a conservation/preservation area with guidelines on the colour you can paint...
  13. J

Womens Hospital History and development

When I worked there Norton Court gradually moved from being predominately residential to probably 50 - 50 office space housing amongst others: finance; Women's and Children's NHS Supplies; facilities directorate management; Medical Physics and probably others I can't recall. I haven't been down...
  14. J

Brummie Ghosts

Hi Nicholas, my pleasure. The negative influence at Beachy Head is purportedly a "Black Monk" who, as you say, encourages troubled souls to jump. Legend has it he was expelled from a nearby monastery, maybe Alfriston, and prowls Beachy Head to exact some form of revenge. There is also a lady...
  15. J

Brummie Ghosts

Hi. Just found this thread, and although I am probably more sceptical than not, I have experienced a few things during my time that make me wonder. I worked for a while at Selly Oak Hospital, and occasionally worked nights as the crew to the internal ambulance. Part of our duties included...
Back