• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by JonJB

1. J

City And Midland Arcades

Just found Stanleys advert Evening Despatch 13/12/1939 confirming shop front faces City Arcade and Union Passage
  2. J

Guildford Street Lozells

Bit of detective work found this Birmingham Daily Post 4 Nov 1916 Lot 4 quite a coincidence 46-56 Guildford Str
  3. J

Guildford Street Lozells

The British Cast Iron Research Association was first at Central House, New Street 1921, moving to 21 St Pauls Square in the mid 1920s then to Alvechurch 1943 after the St Paul's location was bombed. BCIRA 56 Guildford Street is the addressed heading of the several letters I have 1925-26 from my...
  4. J

Guildford Street Lozells

1925 and 1926 for letters addressed as from 56 Guildford Str. The BCIRA was known as located in St Pauls Square in the 1920s so this was either a temporary location or a satellite office. From the 1950 map I can see there was an iron and steel works on Kensington Street just round the corner...
  5. J

Guildford Street Lozells

On a 1889 map also on this thread a building is shown on this corner. The BCIRA in its early days would have needed offices and laboratories. As you say it was possibly bombed during the War. There is a picture of a shop at 52 probably the other corner. Will try Trade Directories but the BCIRA...
  6. J

Guildford Street Lozells

My grandfather was involved in the British Cast Iron Research Association in the 1920s-1940s. I have a couple of letters from him to my future grandmother which he addressed as the BCIRA 56 Guildford Street, Lozells. From a couple of maps c.1950 published on this thread I can see the likely...
  7. J

City And Midland Arcades

My grandmother worked at Stanleys in the 1920s and early 1930s. Was Stanleys on City Arcade? So in the lower postcard in the previous post is the left side the end of City Arcade heading towards Union Str and the right side Union Passage heading towards Union Str? The left side looks like the...
Back