• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Jollyjack

1. J

Pubs Of The Past

I can remember a Sailor's Return, I served in the Royal Navy and arriving into New Street Station you could see the pub on the approach on the left hand side. You could also see the gun proofing house also on the left as you arrived.
  2. J

Birmingham Cinemas

The Big Guy was a 1939 film, so must be about then?
  3. J

Birmingham Cinemas

We used to go to the Odeon Kingstanding, the Clifton, Odeon Perry Barr and sometimes the Birchfield.
  4. J

Birmingham Cinemas

The Forum opened in 1930 I believe. My father worked on it installing the ventilation system and was well known at the time for falling from the dome that was above the screen. Luckily the scaffolding saved him otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. I used to go there in the 60's it was a great...
  5. J

Old street pics..

Sorry can't help here. I've been trying to find photos of the street party in Rodlington Avenue, Great Barr for the Coronation.
  6. J

Pubs Of The Past

Hi, I thought this was the Stonehouse in Weoley Castle. My wife says that there was a passage by the Weoley Castle pub that ran up to it at Stonehouse Lane.
  7. J

Boars Head Inn

It is. One of many that have gone.
  8. J

Boars Head Inn

Your close there Darren. I certainly remember a difficult conversation with his wife at 7.30 in the morning when she rang for him. She wanted to know where he was and I had to break it to her. He was due at head office at 10.30 that morning I told her and I believe she met him outside there...
  9. J

Navigation Inn Erdington

What a coincidence that both of us had a relative that kept the pub. Also that I know Percy.
  10. J

Blue Coat School, Birmingham

My Mom and her brother went to the Bluecoat School. Mom's dormitory bed was by the window next to the girl statue on the face of the building and my uncle's was next to the boy statue.
  11. J

Old street pics..

My Uncle lived at 6/34 Hingeston Street in 1939, not sure what number the pub was.
  12. J

Pubs Of The Past

The Brittania opposite Aston Station is still a good looking building, despite needing some TLC. I love the statue of Brittania on the front, glad it's still there to see.
  13. J

Pubs Of The Past

The view of the Bell in Oldbury gardens shows two out houses similar to the ones at the Four Oaks in Sutton Coldfield that I mentioned in an earlier post connected with Navigation on Tyburn Road.
  14. J

Navigation Inn Erdington

Hi Templer, you're right it is a summer house. I think it was an Ansells thing, when I ran the Four Oaks in Sutton Coldfield there was a similar one in the trees surrounding the carpark. It had been allowed to fall into disrepair as well. There was also a small rectangular one at the rear of the...
  15. J

Navigation Inn Erdington

A strange coincidence, reading the newspaper article reporting the death of the Licensee Percy Handsaker, I knew a Percy Handsaker from Great Barr and later in Brownhills, I wonder if they are related?
Back