• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by JohnT

1. JohnT

Yardley Wood

Shortie, if you lived on Arlington Road until 1954 you might remember being at its Coronation street party in 1953, as I was. I was born in the upstairs front bedroom of 84 Arlington Road on February 18th 1947. This was a famously heavy winter and there were three-foot long icicles hanging...
  2. JohnT

Watery Lane

Is anyone watching 'The Peaky Blinders' series on BBC2, Thursday nights? It is set around 1920 in the Watery Lane, Garrison Land, Summer Lane district. If you have missed the first two programmes (I think there's going to be 6), you can watch them on BBC i player.
  3. JohnT

Bournville Village

Re: Cadbury's Bournville Here's a uTube link to a 40 minute film 'The Story of Bournville', made in 1953: .. enjoy :)
  4. JohnT

Anyone remember Blaughting ?

".... Albeit he had a strong American accent, he suddenly came out with the word "blarting" My wife and I looked at each other and wondered if it was also an American expression. Making further enquiries we discovered that the American was born and bred in Walsall, England. " Great...
  5. JohnT

Yes, I see now that Blarting is the spelling. It immediately turned up in Google when I used it, and with the link to the Black Country. As well as the first meaning that I recognise - of prolonged, childish crying, I also recognise the second meaning re: Blarting out of a secret or something...
  6. JohnT

When I was a kid and cried for superficial reasons, the typical response from my parents was "And you can stop yer blaughting an'all, or you'll get something to cry for me'lad." Does anyone remember the word 'Blaughting', and have I spelled it correctly? I can't find any reference to the word...
  7. JohnT

Anyone remember a 1960 Kings Norton Weightlifting & Fitness Club?

Around 1959/60 I attended a weightlifting club with this name or something similar. Does anyone remember it? If you dropped down from The Green at Kings Norton onto the Pershore Road, as if going left to Cotteridge, the club house was some kind of rectangular, lightly fabricated hut about a 100...
  8. JohnT

The Boys Brigade

Around 1958 I used to attend a BB group at the church on the corner of Watford Rd and Franklin Rd (between Cotteridge and Bournville). All I can remember is that you earned a shoulder badge (a think in diamond shape, and known as a "pip") for each year's membership completed, and I think you had...
  9. JohnT

Cake shop and Bakery, Kings Heath

Hi Barrie Many thanks for responding to my thread. I'd be delighted to purchase a copy of your book, as I think it will offer the only photos I'm ever likely to get of my father's old work locations. It would be great to read more about Kings Heath in general too. I wonder if your book has any...
  10. JohnT

Birmingham Pals link infected?

I assume this is where I should report an infection risk. I found the Birmingham Pals link in the 'Main Sites' section, but when I clicked on it my security system told me it was badly infected and to get out of it quick! :shocked:
  11. JohnT

Two Germans and Harry Taylor, my Father

Well friends, over 4 months since I last posted on this thread and I have some great news to report: First is that I recently discovered my dad's army number, which I desperately needed but thought I'd never find. Before I found it, the Army Personel Centre had already initiated a records...
  12. JohnT

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: Cadbury's Bournville As I attended Bournville Junior School in the mid/late-1950's I can confirm what your step-dad told you. I remember often during school breaks running across with pals to the "birdcage" (the paths through Cadbury's factory grounds that had wrought iron railings each...
  13. JohnT

Car registration numbers

In the late 60's I built a Falcon Caribbean sports car on the base of a 1938 Ford Anglia (what they called a "Ford Special"). It had the number plate CAB 668. I sold the car. Wish I'd kept the plate. Worth at least £25k now I think. I have two interesting numbers now: USU 451 on a Honda...
  14. JohnT

Winjew ? and Bark !

Thanks BeeGee Don't know if you are right that 'Bark' comes from the Berkley Hunt, but it sounds plausible and I certainly share the sentiment you imply (by not spelling it out)! Pity I've drawn a blank with 'Winjew'
  15. JohnT

Bordesley green

I spent part of my childhood in Bordesley Green and these are some memories: In the mid 1950s, for a couple of years my parents owned a little 'front room' shop at 66 Palace Road, Bordesley Green (opposite a WW2 bombsite where two houses had been destroyed during an air raid), and I attended...
Back