• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by johnpress

1. J

great king street in the 50's

Glad you liked the photo , amazed someone even remembers the Sewells let alone worked for them . Theres one correction though , the 1st photo I saw was quite blurred and thought I could see my late brother david next to me , I then saw the same photo that was slightly better (still blurred...
  2. J

great king street in the 50's

This post was written on the 22nd October 2020 .... I haven't been on here for a while , but after speaking to my nephew Sean regarding photos of the bell pub and the entry leading up to my house in great king stre et , he was on the case with lighting speed . he found photos of the bell and...
  3. J

Harry lucas school

I also remember Mr Flemming the woodwork teacher , he was the only one I feared having the slipper off , he wielded it with passion ! . Yes , Madam de Mon Telk spoke with a very strong Parisian accent . As I sad , she only lasted a term , she simply couldn't handle our misbehaviour , she was...
  4. J

Harry lucas school

Hi peg , im john stone who was also at harry lucas from 60 to 65 and I was in garner , the other 3 were waring , masterton and corly . Do you remember Mr Williams the Geography teacher . Mr Watson the history teacher . Mr Jones the art teacher . Mr figures the maths teacher (who we called the...
  5. J

The Moat House Club

Thank you for noticing my thread Viv , I have no way of knowing if anyone read it . A spin off from working as a lad in the kitchens of Ye old moat house club in the 60's , was that rob pryke and his family (his sons being robin and Christopher) lived in fulford hall Earswood , and he used to...
  6. J

The Moat House Club

Hi to all who are reading this post . My name is John Stone born at number 3 back of 213 great king street Birmingham on June 25th 1950 . I remember the Moat house club because my dad worked there for a few years on fri sat and sun night as a cloak room attendant . I used to go there to help him...
  7. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

was barbarellas opposite the swan pub in Yardley ?
  8. J

Harry lucas school

Re: Products that have faded away i just noticed that you looking for photos of anglesley street , the half below nursery rd , i would love to see them as i lived on that side at 166 arley avenue for 10 years john
  9. J

Harry lucas school

this is a great way to contact people who have the same past as yourself . What part are you from ? . I was born in the middle bedroom of 3 back of 213 great king street , and i had the happiest childhood anyone coud ask for , we was as poor as church mice but i was blisfully happy with my life...
  10. J

Harry lucas school

yes , i do remember them being big blue machines , they were a bit like american fridges , and yes , they were cartons of milk (probably half pints) , you will be telling me next that you remember the big machine in snow hill station on the platform . it had a large dial on that you could spell...
  11. J

Harry lucas school

Yes , your correct it was villa street and not road (i got the pointed dunce hat on now) , and if you can cast your mind back far enough , do you remember on the corner of villa street opposite farm street school , there was a building which had above the corner door a large model of the bubbly...
  12. J

Harry lucas school

how do i use the search engine ???
  13. J

Harry lucas school

Let me start again regarding farm street school , laterly called harry lucas . I was thrown by your comment regarding farm street / harry lucas , but in fact harry lucas was originaly called BURBERRY STREET and not farm street as quoted , it was only yards away from burbberry street . Farm...
Back