• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by johnny082

1. J

Munitions factory work for women

The sad story of the bombing of the BSA brings back so many memories. My Dad worked there at that time although on day shift. At the end of the week it was bombed, he had to go to pick up his wages. He let me go with him and I had to wait outside the gates whilst he went in. Right next to the...
  2. J

Air raid shelters

These were indeed covers over entrances to cellars. During the war there were a number of them in Birmingham city centre. I remember one particular one outside C&A. The reason for this is that just after the war the King & Queen visited Birmingham and Mom and I went to see them. To get a better...
  3. J

Women war workers of Birmingham

Not only dangers of being blown up, but look how close they were working to those leather belts driving the machines. Certainly no health and safety. When I worked at McKecknie Brothers in Ladywood in late 40s my uncle was the works photographer and had to take photographs of all accidents, many...
  4. J

John Ball and F Leonard Ball photographic collection

Thanks so much for those Lynn. Those pics of the Lickey Hills brings back so many memories for me when our neighbours used to take my brother and I regularly. That was over 80 years ago !! The thought of the tram rocking away down the Bristol Road with us always in the open front on top deck...
  5. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

We have three squirrels come into the garden. Love to watch their antics
  6. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

They know who loves them Steve. Great photos again
  7. J

National Archives

Not sure if this is in the right thread but thought it may be interesting to someone. In the Computer Active fortnightly magazine they include a page called Family Tree. In the current one it is about "Search Old Bailey criminal records. It is free and contains information concerning family...
  8. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Just received my order of five Calla Lily bulbs which I intend putting in pots, maybe the end of March. I can't remember who put a photo on last year of theirs, which inspired me to buy some. Can you tell me what sort of spread they are so I can decide the size of pots I will put them in Thanks...
  9. J

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

To think they pay a good price for buying holes !!!!
  10. J

Apparent random problem with the forum

I look at mine on desk top and everything is as normal for me
  11. J

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

I never understood why guys turned down their wellies Pete. Neither do I understand why, in the deepest of snow, they just wear trainers, that have cost them a bomb, to clear it away. Pride ????
  12. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

No morning coffee outside then, Richard !!!
  13. J

Aston's Cars

Much like my first car I bought in 1956 - a 1932 Morris minor - bought for £10
  14. J

MY FIRST/SECOND GRANDCHILD

Beautiful !!!
  15. J

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Kat, remarked on your comment about Scotland in the Holidays of the Past thread
Back