• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by johnieo

1. J

Kings Heath

Hi Bernard R I think the cafe that you are thinking of was in York Rd the next road down from Silver, if I remember right it was called the York Rd cafe and it was just above where the Ritz used to be on the right hand side looking from the high st it was more of a transport cafe as they were...
  2. J

Kings Heath

Hi Bella 1 the shop on the corner of Silver St was owned and run for years by Grace Smallwood I lived nearly opposite the shop at 92 Silver St from 1965 to 1986 and Grace was there when we moved there and was still there till she sadly died a few years ago, Grace lived over the top of the shop...
  3. J

Midland Counties Dairy

Hi paulinehorton, I am afraid I do not know any of these names as I said I was only a lad of 11yrs of age and used to help one of the milkman in those days which would be around 1955/56 you were supposed to be 13yrs old before you could work but no one used to bother except the yard manager who...
  4. J

Midland Counties Dairy

Hi Bernard I can,t remember what colour livery they had they only had one electric milk float and about six horse and carts, the dairy was up a driveway in Westley Rd Acocks Green opposite the Westley Arms, I think the driveway is still there. The bottleing plant was in Showell Green Lane...
  5. J

Midland Counties Dairy

Midland Counties main bottling plant was in Corperation St in the fifties and sixties, there was also a depot at Yardley by the Swan if you come from the cemetary towards the swan island there is a large driveway between the Yardley social club and I think the funeral people the driveway is...
  6. J

Dockers Paints, Rotten Park Street, Ladywood

I remembered the name of the company before PPG took over it was called International Paints as I said I did contract work in there and one day I had parked the lorry across the main gate so that we could load a machine onto it with the mobile crane, the security guard came out of the gatehouse...
  7. J

Outer Circle Race Walk

I well remember the no 11 walk (26mls) when i was a lad of 11yrs old in 1955 I used to help the milkman who worked for a company called Fowlers Forest Dairys the yard was up a drive opposite what used to be the Whestley Hotel in whestley rd. I can't remember the day it used to be held on but I...
  8. J

Dockers Paints, Rotten Park Street, Ladywood

Hi Captain I used to do a lot of contract work in what used to be Dockers Paints when I did work in there 1970/80 it was taken over by another company the life of me I can't think of the name of them finally it was taken over by an American company PPI which stood for Pheniox Plate Glass if the...
  9. J

Gospel Oak, Acocks Green

Sorry Chinny I am getting ahead of myself the name Charlie Winn rings a bell but I can't place the face i knew Jimmy Thomas very well a big mate of my brother , also Roy Court I also knew his younger brother I think his name was Micky they lived in Chisolm Grove the last time I met Roy was in...
  10. J

Severne Road, Acocks Green.

Hi Stitcher if your sister is the same person that I think it was I am so sorry to hear that she had such a bad life and died so young I remember her well always had a big smile on her face does the name Barry Ward (Bambie) mean anything to you if so I have got the right person. I have posted a...
  11. J

Gospel Oak, Acocks Green

Yes Chinny Larry and Lenny were both hard nuts so was their father who I think was also called Larry they also had a sister named Joyce she a was a pal of my sister. The biddles used to rent out the old farm house that used to be where the club is on what we used to call the donky hollows they...
  12. J

To all on Severne Rd I am going to try and post a photo of severne rd school football team taken 1953/54 0r 55 I just hope it works if so some of the names on it that I remember are top 2nd from left Alan Clark, 4th from left Stan Johnson bottom 1st left John Onions 3rd from left Alan Longstaff...
  13. J

Hi Stitcher did by any chance your sister have brothers by the name of Barry (Hoss) Trevor and Roger.
  14. J

Gospel Oak, Acocks Green

Hi paulebo I knew nearly all the familys you mention I used to go to school with Stan Mathews and I remember Henry Hall the gaffer of the Gospel most of the bar staff were family members do you recall Tommy Wright used to collect the glasses, who was your dad I probebly knew him. I believe Nobby...
  15. J

Gospel Oak, Acocks Green

Yes I did know some of the names you mention, Johny and david Russon lived just round the corner from Overton Rd in oakhurst rd I knew Alan Mccoy He lived in Overton Rd on the corner of Chisolm Grove and of Course Ray Eccles (legs). I believe David Morton still lives on the corner of Ormsby...
Back