• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Johnfromstaffs

1. Johnfromstaffs

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

I wondered if it was that Benny Lee, he never seemed to be short of work, iirc he even stood in front of dance bands on the Beeb on Sat evenings. The announcer seemed to be an import from USA, some of their bands like the Doodletown Fifers used one. No, not them, it’ll come to me! Got it...
  2. Johnfromstaffs

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

Just picked this one up Maurice, I have to say that it represents the area of jazz that I least appreciate, along with the very modern styles. However it’s always good to try to expand your horizons and try something new. I could have done without the announcer though!
  3. Johnfromstaffs

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Heaters of that type were built by a firm called Eberspacher, some military armoured vehicles were fitted with a diesel powered version iirc, perhaps a bit safer, but maybe a bit pungent.
  4. Johnfromstaffs

That Twining’s ad has been doctored, I think.
  5. Johnfromstaffs

http://www.simoncars.co.uk/jaguar/j420g.html
  6. Johnfromstaffs

Pic #525 1965 Mk X Jaguar and a lhd VW 1500 estate. The 420G was 1966. At one time my boss had a white 420G which I used to drive while on trips out. I got a couple of good remarks from people, back in the days of pump jockeys, “switch her off mate, she’s gaining on me”, and at the back...
  7. Johnfromstaffs

No worries.
  8. Johnfromstaffs

Thanks folks! Pics of 65 New St and surrounds would be nice, I worked there in the 60s.
  9. Johnfromstaffs

I am concerned about getting boring, if the admins want me to button it, please advise.
  10. Johnfromstaffs

In this country, the term shooting brake, or break which is a bit French, got to be sort of interchangeable with estate car or station wagon, (or minibus). If the Bedford you are referring to looks like the one in the picture, but with windows, it may be a Dormobile conversion. There were...
  11. Johnfromstaffs

The police car is quite clearly an A60 Cambridge from 1966, and the car further down the road is an A50 Cambridge, 1954 -56. As far as I can see, every single car on the other side is British built, that state of affairs was not to last much longer, even in Longbridge.
  12. Johnfromstaffs

Can’t guarantee accuracy on the car parks, but I’ll have a go.
  13. Johnfromstaffs

The car outside Princess Chambers is a 1966 Austin Westminster A110 Mk2, in what looks like basic trim. The MDT registration is from the County Borough of Doncaster, it may be a police special, (or ex-police) due to the scarcity of chrome strips and wheel trims.
  14. Johnfromstaffs

Picture #415. That’s not just any old Cortina Steve, it’s a 1600E. Nice!
  15. Johnfromstaffs

Made my day

As an inland sailor who occasionally tends to capsize, I must add that the efforts that have been made, probably since the 1960s, to clean up inland waters of all kinds are greatly appreciated. One of the things that helps is to share a water with a fishing club, the aim of most of the users is...