• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by john70

1. john70

Yardley Wood

Great photos I lived in Highters Road during the war and went to Grendon Road school, then Yardley Wood for 2 years and moved to Wheelers Lane school then.
  2. john70

Old Contemptibles

I had a great uncle, George Haylor who was with the Worcesters, and was killed at Hooge Belgium on June 16th.1915.
  3. john70

The Shops on Haunch Lane-Ladds TV & Repair Shop

In the 70s I worked for a coach company and used to pick up the residents at the Haunch and take them to Monyhull colony where they went on the evening for a dance, they went 3 times a week.
  4. john70

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Hi Ken. It would have been a 179 bus to Tanworth in Arden, I used to drive them when on the idland red in the 60s, I live in Burnham now also.
  5. john70

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Hi. Novelty. did you mean one of these.
  6. john70

Letters from the front

I found a lot of letters dad sent home in the war after my mom died, dating from 1939 to 45, some from Dunkirk, later Egypt with the 8th. army, Italy and Normandy to Germany, and 1942 diary from Egypt.
  7. john70

Yardley Wood

Heres a photo of Hayes shop.
  8. john70

BHA399C D9 in Service with Midland Red in 1981 on the X92 route Ludlow to Birmingham

Re: BHA399C D9 in Service with Midland Red in 1981 on the X92 route Ludlow to Birming Great video never drove 5399 but drove a lot of other D9s in and out of the bus station.
  9. john70

Wartime Yardley

Great story old boy, and glad your brother was ok allthough a prisoner of war.
  10. john70

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Hi. Stitcher. Harding bakery was on the Coventry Rd. between the Swan and Lily Rd.
  11. john70

Staff Bus alive and well and with NXWM

The Yardley Wood staff bus sets out at 3 45am.
  12. john70

Wartime Yardley

Hi.Wigandem. It was my great grandad who lived there, he died in 1952, he had 18 children, and I am told they lived at 76 and the house next door, I know he was a gardener so the allotment information seems right, but didn,t know where that was,thanks for your reply.
  13. john70

Wartime Yardley

My grandparents on my fathers side lived in Lily Road, No. 76 name of Haylor, do you remember them?.
  14. john70

The Early Days of The Bus Museum At Wythall

It would be great to see 4482 the D7 at Wythall back on the road, it was a Digbeth bus when I worked there and I passed my PSV test in a D7.
  15. john70

Birmingham Buses Part 2

I believe it was in Moat lane.
Back