• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by John L

1. J

its mikejees birthday

Sorry that I'm a day late.
  2. J

Fox and Goose Hotel Washwood Heath

How it looked more recently.
  3. J

Pubs in Aston

The pub closed for the last time on 21/1/61.
  4. J

David Bowie in Birmingham

David Bowie at Cranes (Priory Ringway) on 5th March 1966:
  5. J

Aston Villa history

Nice photograph Pedrocut @ #173 of the old Witton End and the top of that bank, on which I stood alongside my Dad (it was caked in mud that night) to watch Pele's Santos in 1972 (photos 2 & 3 below). That view of the nearby industry that surrounded Villa Park back then, over the old Witton Lane...
  6. J

Smallbrook Ringway

I've just got around to fully reading that Eye. I see that The Birmingham Modernist Society and Zero Carbon House, have teamed up with C20 to oppose demolition. They made the counterproposal that retains the Ringway building and adds three round 20-storey towers "reflecting the shape of the...
  7. J

BHF EASTER MEET UP 2023

Yes, if you are driving towards the city along New Town Row, there is no longer an option to turn right into Cecil Street, you now need to go right around Lancaster Circus to get to the other side of the A34. Then Price Street is the second left (there is a gap in the cycle lane), currently...
  8. J

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

I wonder whether that was actually a genuine message to that gentleman from that lady in the Handsworth car, or a crafty way of placing a business advert in the "personal ads" by Thorne's? ;)
  9. J

Air raid shelters

They can still be made out, can't they Viv? As a child, I used to always try to spot them, they were often on dual carriageways or near shops/flats. Here is one below in Wolverhampton, I know there is one near Kingstanding Circle on the Kingstanding Road near the police station, another further...
  10. J

If you could live anywhere in Birmingham, where would it be?

I'm happy enough where I am now. It is only half a mile, as the crow flies, from where I grew up and moved back to in my 30s. Lyn's reference to the TARDIS @ #3, is something that I also often think about, when I look at old photographs on here. How I would like to hop on a 65 bus from town and...
  11. J

Groups We Have Seen Live

Some really impressive lists of bands that members have seen on previous posts. Among the acts that I've seen (off the top of my head) are: The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Jam, Elvis Costello, The Stranglers...
  12. J

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ON BHF 2023

Wishing you all a very good 2023 folks!
  13. J

Sutton Park

Christmas Day swimmers at the park this year (rather them than me;) especially these days!):
Back