• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by jim1uk2001

1. J

Small heath

That's not Jenkins Street (Small Heath) Bridge. It's still a single bridge. The bridge in the photo is located on Bordesley Middleway. https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4711901,-1.8761682,3a,75y,317.44h,94.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjczx27yuCX88b4ArqSKbNw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
  2. J

Regent Park Tavern Small Heath

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/birmingham_b10_smallheathtavern.html
  3. J

Birmingham Irish

I live in Ireland as well
  4. J

Birmingham Irish

At 16 I never wanted to live any place but Small Heath. Now I don't like driving through it.
  5. J

Waverley Grammar School

In 1970 the Byron Road side of the school was the Holy Family Annex which was temporary venue to cope with the number of Irish Catholic children who couldn't be accommodated by the Holy Family School main building. We moved from there to Jenkins Street (off Coventry Road) in Small Heath around...
  6. J

Birmingham Irish

I grew up in the 60/70s in an Irish family. We lived in Sparkbook, Garrison Lane and Bordesley Green/Small Heath border. Nearly every one of my mates was from an Irish or West Indian family. I only realised decades later, that we never really mixed with kids from English families. Unconscious...
  7. J

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

In the 60s & 70s they started to knock down a lot of pubs. In the 80s only the White Lion, the Nest and the Malt Shovel survived the Muntz Street demolition. There used to be loads of pubs and loads of Irish in Small Heath. My favourites pubs were the Gunmakers, the Brighton and the Nest.
  8. J

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Who was your Dad? Do you know what years he attended HF school?
  9. J

Brickworks

There was a brickworks in the area now occupied by camberbest building products is now, just off garrison lane.
  10. J

handsworth wood girls school Mrs Hinchcliffe

It may be a coincidence but Tilton Road Headmaster in 1969 was Mr Hinchcliffe. Could be his wife What years was this lady the headteacher at Handsworth Grammar School?
  11. J

The Griffin Inn

Those tables may have been from Shawbury School. which was demolished in the early 1980s The School had its own laundry and a sewing machine shop where they altered and repaired the boys uniforms.
  12. J

The Griffin Inn

I know this is a very old post but I remember Peter Griffin (Painting Department) and John Graves. I've attached a staff photo of them both.
  13. J

Pubs on the Coventry Road, Small Heath.

I'm not sure. I'd moved out by that time with the occasional visit back. I would say the 90s but it could have been 2000s. It closed down years before it was demolished. No trade.
Back