• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Jemina

1. J

New unseen photos with no locations

With the mention of Edgbaston Street, brought back memories. I used to work there at Thomas Plant Wholesale Hardware in 1957, and thats where I met my Late Husband. Happy Memories
  2. J

The Women's Hospital, Stratford Rd., Birmingham. c1880

I think the one in Wake Green Road was the Maternity Hospital
  3. J

Occupations That Have Faded Away

I remember the Coop Dairy on Stratford road I used to help the Milkman,and thought it was great sitting on the cart when the Horse was galloping along,after all this time I remember the Horse was called Glider. Also Scribbans Bakery Carts delivering the Bread to my Mom,my Mom used to work in a...
  4. J

Birmingham Odeon

Indeed Happy Days myself & my Daughter went to see David Essex there brilliant,also in the fifties the first time I went with a friend to the Odeon to see a film,we thought we were so Posh,because it was quite different to our local flea pit Jemina
  5. J

Birmingham Cinemas

The good old days Cinemas,my local ones were The Rialto & Robin Hood -Hall Green, Springfield- Sparkhill Piccadilly & Waldorf - Sparkbrook and I also used to go to The Kingsway -Kings Heath & the Carlton. Because they used to change the Films on a Thursday & Sunday,and at one I remember that...
  6. J

Co-op Dairies In The 40's

Does anyone remember the Co-op Dairy on the corner of Cubley Rd & Stratford Rd Hall Green? I used to help the Milkman,the Horse was called Glider,and I used to think it was great sitting on the Cart by the Milkman. Jemina :star:
  7. J

'Orse Road

Another expression used in olden times was You've got to go to the Orspital,my dear old Mother In law used to say that.
  8. J

Brummie sayings & language

Hi Grandmaster I have always known the above as Wench,thats what I used to be called Cheers Jemina
  9. J

Items that have faded away

There were winners on spot the ball,in the 60's my Mom and I used to enter and one Saturday my Dad told us we had won £168 which was a lot of Money,we couldn't believe it.
  10. J

See Birmingham by Post Card

Can anyone help the other day there was a picture on this site of the projection room of a cinema I think in Kings Heath,I would like to find it please
  11. J

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

St Marys Convent High School Hunters Road Handsworth demolished but the Convent is still there,I went there from 1948 until 1952 Jemina Edit. A link to St Mary's Convent School - although uncertain if this is the school referred to as unable to locate it...
  12. J

Re Corona pop I think the Jingle went like this "Corona with the big big C Corona just for you & me it's got a sparkle in the middle and a tickle at the top"
  13. J

Cadburys chocolate bars there were six squares in a block and flavours were peppermint,strawberry,coffee,and caramel,does anyone else remember them,also going right back now to when sweets came off ration Lyons slam bar.
  14. J

The cresta club

Remember The Cresta very well,had our Daughter's 21st there back in 1981.there was a comedian on Aidan J Harvey,but never heard anything of him since. Jemina
  15. J

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Nice to see these snippets of Brum.does anyone remember a shop that sold cakes and rolls especially pineapple cream cakes,this was in 1956/57. I can't remember whether this was in Union St,Union Passage or martineau St. Jemina
Back