• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Jason Ellis

1. Jason Ellis

Jemima Sarah Reddell, nee Burton (1846-1927) grocer of 49 Nechells Park Road and 7 & 9 Cattle's Grove, Nechells

Hello, I have another Walthew related question. In the 1851 census Hannah Walthew, widow, (nee Bucknall) is a publican with a very precise address - the corner of Islington and 48 Broad Street, an excellent location for a pub. Can anybody help me with the name of the pub of a list of licensees...
  2. Jason Ellis

Kardomah

Hi Nicholas, Isn't this forum fantastic. Please can you tell me any more about the Phil Woodward you are researching. He is part of my family but proving difficult to track down, depite his fame at the Kardomah. Jason Ellis
  3. Jason Ellis

Brooks, John, entertainer in 1950s who lived in Kings Heath

Hello Janice, I do now have his father's name from his marriage certificate. John Brookes, born about 1927, married Dorothy May Southerton, a widow, nee Ellis (my aunt) 23 December 1950 in Birmingham. His address at the time was 130 Malmesbury Road, Small Heath and his occupation was glass...
  4. Jason Ellis

Thank you MWS. That is consistent on several levels: 1. His name was John Brookes with an "e". That was just careless on my part. 2. Dorothy May Ellis first married Henry (Harry) Wilfred Southerton in 1936, but he died in 1948. Dorothy May then remarried to John Brookes in 1950. 3. It is not...
  5. Jason Ellis

Can anybody help me with Information on the stage career of the entertainer John Brookes in the 1950s. His act included miming some of the big names of his day such as Al Jolson. I don't know his date of birth but he married Dorothy May Southerton in 1950. Dorothy was born in 1918, so it would...
  6. Jason Ellis

Stechford Area

Hi Sue, I have found some photographs of my parents Geoff and Audrey Ellis at their Fish & Chip Shop, 159 Station Road, Stetchford taken 21 May 1963. Look at those prices: cod 1s 2d, plaice 1s 3d. Pies from Telfers and Fleur de Lys
  7. Jason Ellis

Cottage Lane Ladywood

Thanks mikejee, as always. I suppose it is too much to hope that there may be a photograph somewhere. Not 1840s/1850s obviously, but late Victorian/early 20thC. I have done a generic google search and found nothing (except the unrelated but fascinating Woodman next to the Curzon Street railway...
  8. Jason Ellis

Cottage Lane Ladywood

Thank you yet again Janice for providing wonderful information so rapidly
  9. Jason Ellis

Cottage Lane Ladywood

William Littlewood (1799-1852) lived at Cottage Lane, Ladywood, Birmingham from about 1831 until his death in 1852. He is listed as a licensed victualler of the same address on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. MikeJee's map has helped me identify the road. Could anybody please identify what the name...
  10. Jason Ellis

Woodward

Hello, Thank you for sharing that with me. How nice to hear from you. I continue to investigate the Woodward family tree.
  11. Jason Ellis

Chad Valley Toy Company Ltd, Harborne

Does anybody know if some Chad Valley toys cars had a bonnet mascot of ZEZ inside a circle.
  12. Jason Ellis

Mary Ann Lees and her husband William Burton

Hi Lyn, I ordered every available certificate. They were of course informative, but they have not solved my riddle. It remains as follows. It all starts with a 151-year-old family heirloom, the original 1871 marriage certificate of William Burton and Mary Ann Lees which I possess. It names...
  13. Jason Ellis

John Alfred Hawker

Hi Judy, I regret to say that I do not believe that "your" Francis Silvers is related to the Silvers family, glassmakers of Moor Lane Glassworks, Brierley Hill. I have carefully reviewed both families and updated everything in www.familysearch. org. Both family trees appear reliable, but they...
  14. Jason Ellis

John Alfred Hawker

Hi Judy, please send me some key dates for Francis Silvers or even better a pointer to a census record which I presume is how you have located him. I should then be easily able to map him into the rest of the Silvers family which I already have comprehensively documented. This of course assumes...
Back