• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Janmal

1. J

Crossroads programme

So sorry to hear about Jane's problems - she was such a bright girl. The chef's wife in Crossroads also went to Sutton High. I think she was Josefina? Played by Gillian Betts. She was in my school year.
  2. J

Orange juice from the welfare in the 1950s

I well remember my Mum having the orange juice when she was expecting my sister. When my sister was born Mum tried her on powdered milks such as Ostamilk, thinking it was the best but the only one she was able to tolerate was The National Dried Milk which she was quite happy on.
  3. J

Crossroads programme

No he wasn't. I know because his parents were friends of his parents. I recall he was their only child and then of course he died at a fairly young age.
  4. J

Crossroads programme

No Sandy was not disabled. I know because his parents were friends of my parents.
  5. J

Crossroads programme

Jane Rossington went to Sutton Coldfield High School for Girls - she was in the year below me.
  6. J

CHRISTMAS 2020

What a lovely idea Lyn. Hubbie and I are staying at home on our own, to stay safe. But it makes me take time to reminisce. I well remember Christmases at my Nan and Grandad's in Minstead Road, Erdington (overlooks spaghetti junction now). The whole family was there - aunts, uncles...
  7. J

Ernest Malin

Hi - Dana's email Mine if it helps is
  8. J

Ernest Malin

Hi - silly me. Yes of course you are right about Ernest! The information about his mother, Mary Ann Allerton, I got via Dana, who is my husband Tony's sister's daughter. Sadly Dana's Mum, Josie, died October last year from CJD - very, very rare and incurable. Because of that...
  9. J

Ernest Malin

Very interesting! I did know about Kate Malina, but not about her father or brother. Will look further into this. Also interesting about John Darby. Not a common name, seems unlikely to be a coincidence. Thanks for your help.
  10. J

Ernest Malin

My husband hasn't yet had his DNA done, but his sister and her daughter have. We were aware that Ernest was registered as Thomas Ernest Allerton. There is apparently a DNA link to a Thomas Darby, so it is likely a Thomas Darby was his father though not sure which one. We do have Mary...
  11. J

Ernest Malin

We now know from DNA that Ernest's mother was Mary Ann Allerton from Stoke on Trent and his father was a Mr Darby. They did not marry. Mary Ann went on to marry William Kirby and have two daughters. We don't know how Ernest came to be a Malin ?? Adopted by the Charles Malin shown on his...
  12. J

Co.Op.number.

I well remember Mom's Co-op number. I used to rush to the back door when the milkman called to be paid. Dad had written it on the wall by the door, but I always wanted to show that I could remember it and tell him! I won't t say what it was because if I am ever asked for a six digit...
  13. J

Ernest Malin

thanks for the info. i am a bit of an idiot - Ernest married ANNIE Chalkley, not Emma (we did have an idea that his MOTHER was called Emma, but had no more info. Very little shown on census returns, etc on Ernest Malin and we have not been able to positively tie in our Ernest ! Hope I am...
  14. J

Ernest Malin

Does anyone have any info on my husband's grandfather Ernest ? He was born round about 1880, fought in Greece in WW1, was invalided out and back home to Brum in 1916, only to die of Spanish flu in 1917. He is buried in a CWG in Yardley Cemetary. We know he married Emma Chalkley in 1902, and...
Back