• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Jane M

1. J

Changing your surname

My ggrandfather was William Bryan and was married in 1901 to Mary. They moved from Leicester to Birmingham, where it just happened that my ggmother Mabel Folley, was boarding. According to the 1911 census, William and Mabel had 'married' in 1902. They also changed names frequently, the...
  2. J

Hawkes Street

I'm not sure because he does turn up at his children's weddings!
  3. J

Hawkes Street

Thank you. It's so frustrating and the name changes are a complete mystery. In 1911 they take on the name Folley, then for some reason it changes to Hardy. My one thought is that my ggrandfather was a bookie and I wonder if he changed his name to avoid people.
  4. J

Hawkes Street

My great grandmother is a complete brick wall in my genealogy search. I got quite exciting when I thought you may have a connection to them! I couldn't wait to get a copy of the 1921 census page and it threw up far more questions than answers, unfortunately.
  5. J

Hawkes Street

My great grandparents lived at 77 Hawkes Street in the 1921 census, so they could have been your relative's neighbours!
Back