• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by jane k

1. J

Howell Alfred Thomas b 1893

I`m trying to find out more about my great-uncle Alfred Thomas Howell who was born probably in the Harborne area in 1893 and baptised in Upton Warren 13/7/1893. In the family he was known as "Alf" but in some records he seems to be recorded as Thomas Alfred. In 1911 he was living with his...
  2. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

could anyone give me more information about this address - where my grandparents lived during the WW1? I have tried googling it but it looks like that end of Albert Road no longer exists Thanks
  3. J

Bennett Selina (nee Knowles)

I`m struggling to find out what happened to Selina Bennett (Knowles) who was born about 1827 in Birmingham. She married John Bennett in 1848. In 1871 they are in Warstone Lane, Richmond Terrace. In 1881 John is in Birmingham Workhouse and described as a widower but I can`t find a death for...
  4. J

Hall (John) Great Barr

I`m hoping someone might be able to tell me more about my husband`s ancestor John Hall. He sounds a bit dodgy to me! All I know is that he was born approx 1789 NOT in Staffordshire. He married Emily Merrington 12/6/1820 in Westminster - he was about 31 but she was only about 15! As far as I...
  5. J

John Padmore "Sweep Smelters" 14 Branston Street

My grandfather worked for this company as an assayer in the 1920s but I can find very little about them. I know his work involved refining precious metals from waste from the jewellery industry but would love to know more about the history of the company
  6. J

Crompton Road to Clifton Road

In the 1920s my grandmother was living at 36 Clifton Road, Aston and her father was lodging at Crompton Road, Aston. Her son, my Dad, always believed that his mother had had no contact with her father after he "left" the family 20 years before, but she actually registered his death in 1922...
  7. J

Albert Edward Fletcher

I`m trying to find out more about my grandmother`s half-brother Albert Edward Fletcher (known as Ted) who was born in 1890 in Aston. In 1911 he is living with his parents Albert and Elizabeth Ann in Aston Manor and he spent the war in the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. My dad told me that Ted worked...
  8. J

Cecil Road electoral roll

Does anyone have access for the electoral roll for 99 Cecil Road between 1931 and 1939? My widowed grandmother Jane Hayden lived there with my mum and aunt, and I`m trying to find out if there were anymore adults living there
  9. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

On the 1911 census my grandfather (William Henry Lyles Hayden) is described as an assayer working in the "Sweep and Bullion" industry. I have previously been told that he was involved in extracting precious metals from waste and my mother remembered him working in a foundry. Have I got that...
  10. J

What does the Service Number mean

My grandfather was in the 15th Battalion Royal Warwicks - also known as the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. His service number was 537. What does that actually mean in terms of when he enlisted? Was he the 537th man to enlist in that particular battalion?
  11. J

Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour

I have just discovered via Findmypast that my grandfather Edward Laurence Howell is in the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour. He joined 15th Battalion, Royal Warwicks. By any chance does anyone have access to this Book? I have his Medal Index record but think his actual service record...
  12. J

Rubber Works Aston

In 1911 my gt-grandfather was working as a curer at the "Rubber Works, Aston" Could anyone give me more information about this? At the time he lived in Apna Place, Cato Street, Saltley
  13. J

burial after suicide?

I am trying to find out more about my grandmother`s step-father who I believe took his own life in 1944. As this was still classed as an illegal act at that time, would it have affected where he was buried? His wife was buried in Witton Cemetery
  14. J

Possible suicide - Update

My father remembered being told that his mother`s step-father had taken his own life during WW2. His name was Albert Fletcher and I have found a possible death for him on FreeBMD for June 1944 in Sutton Coldfield. The listed age is right. The last known address I have for him was on the...
  15. J

Death registered twice?

My husband`s grandmother Doris Rose Hunt was married to Herbert John Lynes but separated from him in the 1940s and went on to have a relationship with Stanley Pemberton - and had a child with him. We believe that she never actually married Pemberton - although she took his name - because...
Back