• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by jacko

1. J

Wenman street

Cheers brian, brilliant looking at the pics you have kindly put on jacko
  2. J

Hampden Street Balsall Heath

This is Mrs compton of hampden street taken in 1970 and i remember her sons tony and david
  3. J

Does anyone remember keith and edwin smith of hampden street?
  4. J

This is a picture of mrs compton on hampden street and remember her sons tony and david and picture was taken in 1970
  5. J

Wenman street

Cheers brian I assume you are from balsall heath?
  6. J

Wenman street

I attended the hall a few years later so i would expect to know faces on there
  7. J

Wenman street

HI BRIAN I used the hall a couple of years later but i would imagine i will know faces on there
  8. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

The main reason i would have thought your grandfather came to birmingham was for the work, as you probably know birmingham was a very big industrialised city + we had the black country just down the road and from my own knowledge in terms of having irish relatives they say the same thing, it was...
  9. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

Sorry i cannot help you freelancer and i cannot imagine you would find a list of folk that stayed there, thousands up on thousands must have passed through the doors of the rowton house from the day it was built. I wish you luck in your search JACKO
  10. J

HI RINGO That blue coloured shop became a fish shop and must have changed when mrs kay sold it? JACKO
  11. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I think most of the irish folk that came over the water worked on the building industry at some time, but i cannot understand why they got such a bad reception when they came to this country? My wifes uncle comes from mayo where i find they are very quiet and reserved folk and her mom comes...
  12. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

HI LIZY My dad was from wexford southern ireland and he came here on the 11/02/1943 and obviously he would have met the same reception as others did, i never knew my dad but i have obtained his irish travel permit card and it has all the stamps in it where he would have to go to the police...
  13. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

I bet she certainly noticed the change in the place LOL i wonder if she knew my old lady? her name is elsie williams or mooney. it's nice to hear that she was appreciated for keeping the place clean eh
  14. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

Sorry about the name mix up ROBERTS
  15. J

Alcester Street, Digbeth

You can quote all you like bill but you have not had the experience of staying there i guess, my old lady worked there in the 60s cleaning as well as emptying the pee pots + against our wishes we had a drunken bum of a step father who hung around with the vagrants and even bought them home...
Back