• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ivor Williams

1. I

St Clements School Nechells

I remember Miss Jaques but I have always thought she was Indian. My younger sister, Linda loved Miss Jaques, but Miss Jaques was new to the school the year after I had gone into Class Two.
  2. I

High Park Street, Nechells

I started school at St Clement's in 1949 and I think there was a senior department. If so, it quickly disappeared. I was only four but do seem to recall that as being so. I may be wrong but it had always been a fact to me. Afterwards, it remained as an infant and junior school. A lovely...
  3. I

M.B.Wild & Co Nechells

Hi, Di! My dad, Albert Verdun Williams, started work at Wild's in 1937 and eventually joined the Home Guard under Harry's command. It was my dad's first proper job. He was from Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales. He was employed at Wild's until he died, 64. My mom arrived around 1941 from Newcastle...
  4. I

Not really... Nechells Green was the entire area that consisted of six roads ending at the wide area that allowed traffic, in my time, to move fairly safely around a roundabout. The roundabout was installed when motorised traffic became more populous. As I stated in an earlier post, High Park...
  5. I

GER22van : High Park Corner was a pavement that stretched between the town end of Nechells Park Road and Thimble Mill Lane. There were a small number of shops along the pavement; I'm not sure how many but a chemist was on the corner of Nechells Park Road and a bakery shop, Wimbush, was the...
  6. I

John Knight: High Park Street ran parallel with Nechells Park Road and part of Long Acre and separated one from the other. The land that it ran on is now underneath Wing Yip's Chines supermarket.
  7. I

I remember you, Bob Steele. You had rosy red cheeks and wavy black hair. We sometimes talked together.
  8. I

High Park Street was a short street that linked Railway Terrace to Thimble Mill Lane. St Clement's infant and junior school was on one side of the street and part of Newton's large factory faced the school. Nechells Place started at Nechells Green and left the area on its way down to Saltley Road.
  9. I

I was born in 1945 and Mr Hill left a year or so after I became a junior. The classroom above the kitchen had Mr Lewis as the teacher. He directed me in my first play, "The Princess and the Pea". From small acorns grow mighty oaks.
  10. I

I remember the little red tanker that your wife is on about. I only ever saw it at the bridge over Rocky Lane on the gas works side.
Back