• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by ironfighter

1. I

Why change jobs from a shoemaker to a miner?

I had a distant relative who lost both legs in WW1, Billy Pinfold of Baddesley Ensor. he was taught shoe making to enable him to support himself, which he did for many years.
  2. I

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

oldMohawk you are quite correct, the man in uniform has an inverted chevron and a star on his left sleeve, these are long service distinctions.
  3. I

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I would imagine they are on their way to market. My mother was born at 699 Coventry Road, Small heath in 1911 and remembers livestock being driven towards town as a regular thing. On one occasion a Bull got loose and chased her and her friend Dorothy Sutton, whereupon they had to take refuge in...
  4. I

No 48 & No 49 Bus Routes

If you used any of those routes you were probably driven at one time or another by my dad, hence me knowing about the mobile canteen. Mom and I used to go into town when he was on a late turn and I would get treated to a Penguin ( in foil wrapper) or a Duchess Wafer. When I was older we would...
  5. I

No 48 & No 49 Bus Routes

I remember the 50 termini being the first stop in Albert street next to the carpet shop and in a lay by complete with Bundy clock outside the Maypole pub. Mother always said that if they moved the carpet shop she wouldn't be able to find her way home. Just before it was some kind of service road...
  6. I

No 48 & No 49 Bus Routes

The 49B terminated outside the Fighting Cocks Pub in Moseley Village. The 49A terminated at Moseley Road depot and was used for crews signing off or changing route at the end of the morning rush hour.
  7. I

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Blacksmiths have been mentioned, of which there are still a few, but now one less. Blacksmiths strikers are long gone now, as far as I am aware. My grandfather drove a steam tram and my birth certificate says my father was a "tramcar driver" although I only remember him driving buses. Does...
Back