• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by IngridMartin

1. I

St Gerards Hospital, Coleshill

Ethna Hamill will you email me please? I'd like to talk to you about something. [email protected]
  2. I

Oliver Garage - 278 Chester Road, Castle Bromwich

I just found out through this forum that The Clock Garage has gone! Several years ago now? I lived in Ashville Avenue, behind the houses on Chester Road opposite in 50s/60s! Could see the clock tower from my bedroom window. Worked there for a short time circa 1965 in their new car sales...
  3. I

Castle Bromwich clubs

David! How amazing to get your reply! I'm deeply embarrassed/ashamed to have referred to you as a precocious brat :( apologies!!! Of course, your mum & dad were Joan & Dave - can still picture you all! If you email me [email protected] I'll send you a picture which may jolt your memory...
  4. I

Birmingham Cinemas

I remember going to a Saturday Matinee at The Beaufort, Washwood Heath. Some stupid boy sitting behind me put bubble gum in my hair! I got a real bollocking off my mom and she banned me from going again....as if it was my fault? I was about 9 in 1956! Happy memories!
  5. I

Mine goes back to 1963 Sue so won't be the same nun? Thanks!
  6. I

Sister Eta, I always thought it was Sister Rita!!! She was in charge of the boys' wards 5 & 6! I was on the girls' wards 7 & 8 opposite and the other side of the pond!
  7. I

Birmingham Cinemas

I was at that reunion!!!
  8. I

Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich

My sister and I lived nearby and used to go round there to buy pop and crisps from the Outdoor.....as kids weren't allowed inside. This would have been mid 50s. I went to Heathlands Primary School with boy called Kenneth who's father was the licensee
  9. I

Interesting, thank you. However, this is in a slightly different locatiion to where it was when I was there. It is behind the buildings so quite close. Amazing that it was in existence so long ago! Were you a patient there? Ingrid
  10. I

It was Wards 1 & 2 and the area you are referring to was called The Terrace where the babies were! Sister Philip was the nun in charge of those wards
  11. I

Hi Colin you were probably on Wards 5 & 6 the boys' wards where you could see the pond with the statue. It's still there! The grounds are still the same! You were there a long time before me. My first visit was in 1957. Where do you live now?
  12. I

I was on Wards 8 in 1957/58 and then again 1959/61 and the last time Sept to Nov 1963!
  13. I

Birmingham Cinemas

My local cinemas were The Castle in Castle Bromwich where I had my first snog in 1962 aged 15. We went to see Petticoat Pirates and I remember someone behind us making reference to the fact that it was more interesting watching us than the film!!!! The other local was the Beaufort where, in...
  14. I

Yes, it is you Ethna, I remember now you had an unusual name. You had blonde boufant hair which stood out from the others. Do you remember your pink striped uniform!! I was the oldest patient in hospital in Sept/Nov and as such had certain privileges. I was allowed to go out into Coleshill...
Back