• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by impis

1. impis

Lewis's Department Store

I don't think the old Lewis' is a primark. The old primark was on New street, and the new one has taken over the Pavillions shopping center. Neither of these is near the old Lewis' store - unless there's another Primark that I don't know about.
  2. impis

Lewis's Department Store

My memories of Lewis's as a child. Punch and Judy on the roof. Pedal cars on the roof. Queuing on the stairs that went round the lift shaft to see Santa. Loving the complete floor of tents, fully erected, and ready to be explored. [It fascinated me how they got rooms inside them. Still...
  3. impis

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I loved that song!
  4. impis

Then & Now

It is the same tree in all photos. It is called The Arden Oak, and is supposed to be the last remaining tree from the forest of Arden that used to cover this area. As such, it is a tree of importance, and therefore, they built the road around it. Other information about it can be found...
  5. impis

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

In the 70s it was called La Dolce Vita. I worked there from 1973-4.
  6. impis

Does anyone recognise this shopping centre photo?

Looks a bit like the fancy Google logos doesn't it!
  7. impis

Brummie sayings & language

Not sure if i'm allowed to post links to a video - admin - feel free to delete if that's the case - but here's a nice young man teaching about some brummie works and phrases - just in case you need the help.. LOL! : Learn Brummie with Korean Billy
  8. impis

Lost streets of birmingham

Not sure if this is pertinent, but here's an aerial photo of Acocks Green, takin in 1926, I think? At least, that's what I was told. I'll have to zoom in to take a closer look.
  9. impis

Old street pics..

10. impis

Old street pics..

11. impis

Old street pics..

12. impis

Heat Rash

Fireside tartan!
  13. impis

Stechford

THERE hasn't been a lido there for quite a while! in fact, since the lido days, new community centers with swimmng pools have been built, twice!
  14. impis

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

William Charles Harrison, also my Great Grandfather, was known by us as a 'black sheep' of the family. His daughter, my Grandmother, remembers being taken to visit her grandmother in a big house with servants, but her home was not like that. I remember being told that he had married my...
  15. impis

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

There you go. Not sure who's who, except that the youngest and littlest one is Bridina - my grandmother, daughter of William Harrison and Bridina Carol. Here's another photo of him too - a bit older than the one in the uniform.
Back