• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Imogen

1. I

Alum Rock Road Shops

I lived at 896; the corner house of a terrace at the junction with Chetwynd Road, moving there as a 9 year old with my parents and grandmother in 1964. What is now flats next door used to be a Jehovah's Witness Mission which adjoined a betting shop. On the corner at the junction with St...
  2. I

Alum Rock Road Shops

I have fond memories of going to the Capitol Cinema in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. The projector would count down to zero on the screen before the film began, only for the film to invariably break at some stage and nearly always at the exciting bit. Up would go the house lights while the film...
  3. I

Construction of the M6, Birmingham section (c1971)

Must admit, I haven't heard that one, but I'm sure that the morning commute would be delighted at the prospect of an exhumation...
  4. I

I remember being at school on the day the M6 opened, although we had no idea that it was being opened on that day. There was a sudden shriek in the library, (which overlooked this part of the M6). This was followed by; "Look! Cars!" I must say- rather like the M25- where would we be without it?!
  5. I

These are 2 pictures which I took around 1971, of the M6 construction. Photo taken from the top of the bank on Newport Road, looking toward Castle Vale Estate.
  6. I

Alum Rock Road Shops

Regarding shops going in the direction from the Capitol Bridge to the Ward End Pub, I can remember a toy shop stocking Triang toys immediately past the bridge, followed by Griffiths and Fullard, the schools' outfitters. A little way down on the same side as the Capitol Cinema, was Len's the...
  7. I

Bordesley green

I lived in Repton Road from 1958-1964 and can remember a number of the shops around the St. Paul's area. Gardener's was our favourite sweet shop on our way home from school and, strangely enough, is the one remaining shop under its original name, still selling sweets in large bottles! To the...
Back