• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by illjaorterpa

1. I

Jewellers Birmingham early 19th century apprenticeships

Hi Could anyone tell me if they know if apprenticeships were served for the jewellery industry in early 19th century and if so where I would find them. My 3 x great grandfather Thomas Upton was a jeweller in Birmingham. Found him in the 1839 Robson's London and Birmingham - Part 2 in 3 Lower...
  2. I

52 St Luke’s Road 1911, The Grand Turk

How interesting that you lived there. My great grandfather who ran the pub on 1911 census was John Porter, he wife Lillian (Nee Upton), their children Percy (my grandfather), Eva and Daisy.ALso resident was the bar maid Agnes Horton. Lilian died in 1929 and John married the barmaid and they...
  3. I

Stanbra Thomas military funeral

My g.g.g.grandfather Thomas Stanbra b.1819 Fenny Compton, Warks. died 6 September 1876 and apparantly buried in Handsworth church yard. I have been told he had a military funeral on a horse drawn gun carriage. A distant cousin has sent me an old cutting but with no information about where she...
  4. I

9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1916

Re: 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1 Brilliant - thank you.
  5. I

9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1916

Re: 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1 Thanks everyone for the help, information and geography lessons!
  6. I

Hi Just found a relative who was killed in action during WW1 in north africa. Albert Frederick Rabbitt (14113)(Sergeant) died 19.4.1916 - 9th battalion Worcestershire Regiment. The commonwealth war graves commission state that he is on a memorial in Basra (obviosuly cant visit there) but how do...
  7. I

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

Thank you. This sounds a silly question but as I am fairly new to family history research how/where do you get the Electoral registers for previous decades/centuries? as this would help to fill in a lot of gaps between censuses?
  8. I

Hi thanks for replying his name was John Law born 1846 I think he died in 1915. Sorry Im not more sure - would the records say why is was in there?
  9. I

Just discovered on 1911 census that a great uncle was in this workhouse how do I go about finding out if he got out or died in there? and why he was in there in the first place - I was shocked that they still existed in 1911! Any help much appreciated.
  10. I

Thank you - yes they are my great grandparents and granddad who was off in the navy. Glad to know the name of the pub.
  11. I

Hi My great grandfather and grandfather lived at this address ( 52 St Luke’s Road) in 1911 census. I think it was a pub could someone have a look and see if the name of the pub is available? Not sure what other details can be found in the Trade directories but any information would be new to...
Back