• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Ian Leggett

1. I

Sheldon Bombing

The shop in the middle to the right in the 1950,s was Moyle and Adams, grocers. One in the middle to the left was a butchers, was it Hubbards. The photo makes the corner of Common Lane look pretty smart. Regards Ian.
  2. I

Sheldon Bombing

I am pretty sure it was Woodfield. A sweet shop in the centre of the parade. Regards Ian.
  3. I

Sheldon Bombing

Hi Robert, Yes of course (memory lapse, was a long time ago) he flat roofs were on the left from Church Road and the shop was in the bungalow. In one of my former threads I mentioned the shops at Cranes Park Road/Church Road, Woodfields, Hodriens, Moyle and Adams,Jones and Moseley, probably you...
  4. I

Sheldon Bombing

On the subject of Common Lane Sheldon, do you remember the shop part way along amongst the flat roof houses. Any idea what it was called. Regards Ian.
  5. I

Sheldon Bombing

I knew Common Lane well as it was my cycling route to work at the Yew Tree and Stechford every morning when working at Wrensons.
  6. I

Wrensons

Good to hear from someone who remembers Station Road Stechford as it was the first store I managed as an 18 year old. It had a very friendly customer relationship. It was a little later than 1957 above as I was there about 1962. Regards Ian Leggett.
  7. I

Sheldon Bombing

That certainly does start to bring back a memory recall. That was a large island and always wondered why it was split in that way. Also the 58c bus terminus and late night service. Regards Ian.
  8. I

Sheldon Bombing

So Tigers Island was at the Boundary then. Must admit I never knew that. So does anyone know why it was called that?. We used that roadway a lot as we walked to Elmdon Vale to go along the hills and ride our trolleys down the hillside. In the winter it was a great place for the sledges. With...
  9. I

Sheldon Bombing

Hi Brian, Where was Tigers Island? Sorry but cannot remember the paper shop proprietor. I lived at 48 Parkdale Road from 1943 to 1965 (my parents bought the house new in 1939). I will search out the photo.I remember the trolley buses well as the 58 service. We walked from the Wheatsheaf to...
  10. I

Sheldon Bombing

I remember Miss Onions (she looked so old and wrinkled when I was there (1955-8)and the Headmaster was Mr Barlow. Do you recall Mr Gregory as a teacher for the later classes (4th year). I had a Mr Knight who was a superb teacher. There was a Mr Bruce? who was a PE teacher but sadistic chasing us...
  11. I

Sheldon Bombing

Many thanks for pictures. Brings back some memories.I met my girlfriend there and we will have been married for 49 years this year. Regards Ian.
  12. I

Sheldon Bombing

Hello Brian, An interesting reply as I had not fully realised the school had been damaged in the bombing. From what my father told me as an ARP and First Aid man was that the plane was being chased and it off loaded the bombs anywhere to gain speed. I was not referring to the flat roof houses...
  13. I

Sheldon Bombing

I do seem to recall a Mr Stevens being the caretaker when I was at Silvermere Road school from 1955. Such a shame that Silvermere School is now demolished. Regards Ian Leggett.
  14. I

Wrensons

Hi Austin K2, Yes I remember those lorries also. I think I may have mentioned the cutting oif fingers in my long article on working at Wrensons. Look back to 2010. I had numerous near misses and actual cuts while cleaning these revolving blades while holding a muslin cloth in one hand pressed...
  15. I

Wrensons

Hi Derek, Winter in Canaries? You missed our lovely snowy and sunny winter (variety is the spice of life you know). I vagualy remember Colin Scott. I am trying to remember who had the branch on Coventry Road Sheldon. He was the father of my wifes sister in law. I did not have much to do with the...
Back