• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Ian Forrester

1. I

Cheshire - William 1930's + WWII

The WMFS Community Heritage Group have a photograph of the band with CFO Tozer and would be please to show it to you if you contact them. Perhaps your Grandad is on that ! The above e-mail address is correct or e-mail me at ian.forrester @ wmfs.net.
  2. I

Lamppost Etching

The West Midlands Fire Service training Acadamy in Smethwick has a similar lamp which stood outside the Priory Fire Station in central Birmingham.
  3. I

Cheshire - William 1930's + WWII

Suggest you try the West Midlands Fire Service Community Heritage Group. Go to their website and click 'heritage' and leave your message.
  4. I

Tozer

Hi, I'm a member of the West Midlands Fire Service Heritage group and of course know of the Tozers. Apart from the two A R Tozers there were various other Tozer family members involved in fire brigades in and around Birmingham. It's quite a dynesty. Our group is available on heritage/wmfs.net
  5. I

Old Central Public Library Birmingham (1866 - 1894)

The fire at the Old Central Library in Birmingham was one of two fires that caused the Birmingham Corporation to invest in an efficient Fire Brigade. 30,000 books were destroyed and a large part of the Shakespare Collection was lost. That fire and the fatal one in Digbeth caused the Corporation...
  6. I

Auxiliary Fire Service

I am a member of the West Midlands Fire Service Community Heritage Group. Our groups aim is to to protect the heritage of of both Birmingham Fire Brigade and the West Midlands Fire Service. As such we have very few wartime records. This is because of the nature of war and the fact that after the...
  7. I

General Wolfe Public House

The General Wolfe was also a haunt of off duty firemen from the nearby Central Fire Station.
  8. I

Central Fire Station Hq

For anyone who's interested the old central fire station in Lancaster Circus features in the new series of BBC1's Survivors tomorrow night (Jan 12th). Some filming was carried out there and there is a particularly good shot of the art deco main staircase. Such a pity the building may be lost...
  9. I

John ( Jack ) Dalby

Never forgotten.
  10. I

Hyia from Ian.

Jan, Several well known names there. Of the Merrell brothers, one went on to be Chief Fire Officer and the other a lesser senior officer, George welcomed the Queen to the station when she came to thank everyone for their work at the Birmingham pub bombings (March 1975). I still see Chippy...
  11. I

Aubrey Road, Small Heath

Kaz, My family lived at 26 until 2002 but unfortunately being a youngster I don't have any memories of the Baileys. Great photo though. Ian.
  12. I

Hyia from Ian.

Hello Jan, Yes, Ruby was very well known at Fire Service Headquarters and one of the characters we don't seem to get many of these days. I knew her professionally and I think she is actually mentioned in one of the publications by the Fire Service. Thanks for your note...
  13. I

Hyia from Ian.

Thank You All for your welcome and comments.
  14. I

david haydon vehicle body builders

The 'Chief' Station, before Central at Lancaster Circus, was in Old Priory where the Tony Handcock memorial is now (behind where Lewis's was). Before that it was in Little Cannon Street.
  15. I

Tozer Family.

Re: Birmingham Fire Brigade and the Tozer family The Tozer family were indeed very important to the Birmingham Fire Brigade. A.R Tozer was headhunted from Bristol to take charge of Birmingham F.B as the brigade was thought to be inefficient after a fatal fire in Digbeth and the Central Library...
Back