• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ian Binnie

1. I

A talk to the Kings Heath Local History Society "Moor Street to the Dardanelles: Gallipoli and Birmingham" Wednesday 20th March 2024, 7.15pm

Hi, Many thanks. Very interesting. If you have any details you can send me (via [email protected]) I can include them in the next Journal of the Friends of the Fusilier Museum, Warwick (the museum of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. A friend of mine, Kevan Darby has a Facebook page on...
  2. I

Free talk on the book "The Country Diary of an Elizabethan Lady" by Edith Holden.

The Moseley Society are organising a free talk at Moseley Exchange on Tuesday 28th May at the Moseley Exchange (B138JP). The talk is entitled "My Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady Journey" given by Rachel Chopra Smith. The talk is from 2pm to 3pm, followed by refreshments. Edith Holden, the...
  3. I

Gallipoli/ANZAC Commemoration in Birmingham

Join us to commemorate Gallipoli/ANZAC Day in the “second City” on Sunday 21st April 2024, 2.00pm at Brandwood End Cemetery, Woodthorpe Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, B146EQ. There will be a short service followed by a tour of the many graves/memorials with a Gallipoli connection. The event...
  4. I

A talk to the Kings Heath Local History Society "Moor Street to the Dardanelles: Gallipoli and Birmingham" Wednesday 20th March 2024, 7.15pm

Hi, Very interesting. One of the men who I will be talking about (and has a memorial in Brandwood End Cemetery) was with the 9RWR and was killed at Baku.
  5. I

By Ian Binnie, Education Co-ordinator and Trustee of the Gallipoli Association Hundreds of Birmingham men served in this ill-fated campaign of the First World War. Many paid the ultimate sacrifice. Kings Heath Local History Society meets in the Community Centre on Heathfield Road. Meetings...
  6. I

Monday 26th February, 1pm – lunchtime talk Conspiracy and constitutionalism: Chartism and trade unionism in the West Midlands at the BMI

This talk looks at the covert and overt strategies used by workers in Britain in the first half of the nineteenth century. Trade unionism had emerged against a backdrop of mob violence in the 1750s, and the period in question saw the rise of a popular movement for political representation...
  7. I

The Moseley Society History Group

The Moseley Society has a very active History Group. Members organise research and talks, lead walks, put on displays and write articles, or investigate their own interests. You can see some of this work on our website www.moseley-society.org.uk/local-history We also manage a unique archive of...
  8. I

Free half-term art/heritage workshops for children/young people

Birmingham People's History Archive has organised two workshops for children/young people with parents/carers on Saturday 4 November, 11-1 and 2-4 (12 places am, 12 pm). They'll work with a professional artist and create individual work to take home, based on Birmingham's industrial heritage...
  9. I

Gallipoli graves/memorials in Witton cemetery

Hi, I am doing a talk on Birmingham and Gallipoli. I have done a lot of research in Brandwood End but, shame to say, never been to Witton. I can find names from the CWGC records but this won't show family memorials. At this stage I only need a rough idea of numbers and a couple of examples. Ian
  10. I

Gallipoli graves/memorials in Witton cemetery

Does anyone know of any memorials to or graves of men who served in Gallipoli in Witton Cemetery?
  11. I

An open heritage event: a fee Zoom talk - Gallipoli and Brandwood End Friday 8th September –7.30pm (UK time)

A talk by Ian Binnie, Trustee and Education Co-ordinator of the Gallipoli Association. Hundreds of local people served in the ill-fated Gallipoli campaign of World War One. Some did not return. There are monuments or graves to eight Gallipolians in Brandwood End cemetery. Three are to...
  12. I

As part of Heritage activities: Birmingham People’s History Archive at the BMI, Sat 9 Sept: 10.30am-11.30am, 12pm-1pm & 2pm-3pm.

Tour of the archive. Exhibition about BPHA’s development, showcasing our Historic England project to ‘tell the untold stories of our nation’s working-class heritage.’ Schools’ artwork, based on interviews with retired industrial workers, will be displayed. Costumed presentation about...
  13. I

BOOK LAUNCH - Keeping up appearances in Victorian Moseley Saturday 16th September 2023. 10.00 am – 4.30 pm

The book launch will be at the Moseley Hive, 93 Alcester Rd, Birmingham B13 8DD This is a special event with a dual purpose – as a book launch for Janet Berry’s new book “Moseley 1850 – 1900: Space, place and people in a middle-class Birmingham suburb” and as an opportunity to celebrate the...
  14. I

Blitz themed walk around Moseley - Saturday 17/6/23

Hi, Many thanks for the information. Ian
Back