• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Hurricaneplanes

1. H

Harborne

Sorry but the correct name for The Mews is The Stumps on account of stumps in the ground stopping traffic . A memory lapse.
  2. H

Harborne

Sara's Kebab House is very close by the Vine Inn. Murrays Fish and Chip Shop and also the Grocers was adjacent to Serpentine Rd and opposite the burnt out Kings Arms Pub.
  3. H

Harborne

The Old House at Home was of course on Lordswood Rd half way to Bearwood..There were all ways less shops at the top end of the High St. above the Royalty Cinema (Which is still there) than at the lower end of the High St. below the Old Police Station. The top end of the village has seen more of...
  4. H

The Birmid

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the passing of John Kent and Dave Kind. I was talking to Dave Kind by phone just one hour before he had a major heart attack. Our sympathies are extended to both families on their great loss. We will raise a toast to both of our colleagues on...
  5. H

Harborne

I used to take my fathers radio accumulator to Dingleys the cycle shop for recgarging until Durrants the radio shop provided the same service. There was a cycle shop adjacent on the right of the Vine pub. Clearly seen in the Vine photo.
  6. H

The Birmid

I can remember at Birmetals in the late fifties there was an Indian gentleman who came to work on the big hot rolling mill. I cannot recall his name but he got onto the pay role twice by reversing his first and last name in addition to his normal name. He managed to be employed on the day shift...
  7. H

The Birmid

I think that you are right over his surname being Picken and not Pickering. See you all soon I hope. Jim
  8. H

The Birmid

Hi Mick, I remember Dennis Whyley very well, quite a character. Was it Dick Pickering that you were thinking of? Nearer to the first week in December when we have our get together, any other ex Apprentices that you can get in touch with, then please let me have their email addresses to add to...
  9. H

The Birmid

Hello Mick. When were you at Birmetals, I was there from 1952-1959. Your reminising brings back so many memories. At our reunions we get up to 9 ex apprentices attending but this year I am hoping for a few more. Any who you are in touch with please let me know with an email address and I will...
  10. H

The Birmid

Nearly all of these names I know. You might be interested in attending our Xmas get together at the Stag and Three Horseshoes, top of Mucklows Hill. Date to be confirmed. Some of these will be attending. Let me know please if interested by sending me your email address.
  11. H

The Birmid

I worked in Freddie Foxes Lab in 1958-1959. Do you remember Sam Beard and Johnny Ashfield. Great times.
  12. H

Harborne

I can remember hiring out a canoe with a pal for about half a crown an hour in the late fourties and early fifties. Happy memories.
  13. H

The Birmid

Hello Curlyp 1986. I remember an Anne Parker who worked at Birmetals; did she by any chance live at the bottom of Clapgate Lane? If not then I have got the wrong Anne in mind.
  14. H

The Birmid

Anvil Man. Thank you for your reply. Your memories of Bob Hollis are spot on. Bob's father was indeed foreman of the casting shop. I also worked in Ray Amplets office. I met Ron Mortiboys a number of years ago when he was working at Raleigh Cycles, but I believe he has passed away.. Eddie Gale...
  15. H

The Birmid

Would anyone know of the where abouts of Bob Hollis. Birmetals apprentice in the 1950's. Had a daughter who went to The Catholic School in Hagley so I presume that Bob Hollis lived nearby.
Back