• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Hobbsy

1. H

Joyce family before 1913

Hello John. Alas I haven't been able to find any obvious reference to Catherine or her family in the 1891 or 1901 Censuses. If the information on the various certificates are correct she was born in 1883, and there are 6 or 7 Catherine Joyce's that this could be - none born in Birmingham. Also I...
  2. H

Joyce family before 1913

Thanks for that John - it certainly narrows down the location, which I'm very grateful for! Am currently looking on FreeBMD etc for Joyces!!
  3. H

Joyce family before 1913

Once again, thank you very much to John and Pomgolian on this - I will have a look at these this afternoon. I am going to order some maps of the area from the Godfrey Maps website. My wife and all her family are from Birmingham but I'm not, so I don't really know the area well - although we...
  4. H

Joyce family before 1913

Thank you very much for these responses - I hadn't found any of these so I will follow them up. In answer to John's questions: 1 On the marriage certificate, the father of John William Veness is listed as William John Veness - the father appears on the 1881 and 1891 Census as John, and is...
  5. H

Joyce family before 1913

I'm looking for information on Catherine Joyce, daughter of Edward Joyce. She seems to have been born in 1883, and married John William Veness (known as William) on 1st December 1903. She lived at 8 back of 68 Allcock Street Deritend - from at least 1913 until she died, on 24th January 1958...
  6. H

Surname Interests

Hello Robert, 1891 Census information: Dwelling: 7 Back of 23 (or 25?) Claybrook Street Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England Ref: RG12/2382 Marriage   Age    Sex    Birthplace Cornelius P BUNTING  M  48  M  Birmingham Rel: Head Occ: Brass Dresser Isabella...
  7. H

William and Catherine Veness, 8 Back of 68 Allcock Street

Just to say a very big thank you to all of you for the information! I will follow this up, and will come back to you soon with anything else I find. All the best. Hobbsy.
  8. H

Thank you very much for that Herefordlad! That one really was a surprise and maybe answers why this part of the Veness family disappear from view after the 1881 Census! I will have a look around to see if I can find out any more on the family. Once again, I can't thank you enough because I'd...
  9. H

Thanks John. I took your advice and I've had a look online at the 1891 and 1901 Censuses - but I can't find any mention of anyone in this line of the Veness family! Alas, the marriage certificate from 1903 only gives the address for John William Veness and Catherine Joyce as 'St Gabriel's...
  10. H

Just to add a little bit more to my previous message. I've just had a look through '1837 Online', and it seems almost certain that John William Veness was born in the July/August/September 1882. I can now order his birth certificate and hopefully this will confim that his father is John Veness...
  11. H

Dear John and Alberta First of all, thank you very very much for your help. I'm new to the site so I wasn't expecting such an instant response, and I really appreciate your help. On the December 1903 marriage certificate, John William Veness was aged 21 and Catherine Joyce was aged 20. I am...
  12. H

I am looking for any information that anyone might have on William and Catherine Veness who lived at 8 Back of 68 Allcock Street Deritend from at least 1913 up until 1958. They had four children - Annie born in 1906, Florence born in 1909, William born in either 1910 or 1911, and John born in...
Back