• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by hewittbj39

1. H

Regent Park Tavern Small Heath

hi all. The photo on post #14 is very familiar to me, in the shops on the left in the 1950s were a Tv shop where we stood in the rain to watch the coronation also a green grocers run by my school mate Barry Saunders parents, lower down next to the pub was our local barber who could do any style...
  2. H

Wimbush Bakery

Hi all. I have just found out that a great uncle of mine who died in an Air raid in 1940 was in some way linked to Wimbush as their name is on his writeup in the official book, I do not know if it was because he worked there or the actual bomb raid was there at the works I hope someone can...
  3. H

Holborn Hill

Hi all. Where the old map shows Sutton Works my wife worked about there in the early sixties for a firm called Prices Electric Fires where all types of fires were assembled . I used to pick her up most evenings after work and while waiting I would be entertained by the goings on at the scrap...
  4. H

Photo restoration

Hi pedro and Jukebox Thank you both for your brilliant work I really thought it was beyond repair the cracks were pretty awful across the face but you managed it for me. Many thanks. Acklam19.
  5. H

Photo restoration

Hi John I have tried to increase resolution to 300DPI (I am not very wise on PC) I hope this is enough many thanks. Acklam19.
  6. H

Photo restoration

hi. I was wondering if someone could improve this photo for me please anything would be an improvement, many thanks. Regards Acklam19.
  7. H

Roger Whittaker

Hi all. I was working at the Dolci vita after the big fire there, we were almost finished and Rodger came in to rehearse, he did a couple of his hit songs and we all stopped work to listen all except one carpenter who was hammering away this of course put him completely off his beat but he took...
  8. H

The Moors Firs Estate

HI ALL. I lived at 26 Kempson Road next to the police flats my family moved there from Small Heath the middle of 1956. regards Acklam19.
  9. H

Finding my Grandfather

Hi Notsharp. I to had a similar situation with my Grandfather as no one ever spoke of his WW1 death including my father who was his youngest son born August 1914 and Grandfather died in August 1915. I also did not have a photo of him and neither did any of our very large extended family but by...
  10. H

hannah barratt 1766'

Hi janice. Thankyou very much for your promt reply and the info given I realise that there must have been a lack of information back then but I am reading into the entry that she must have been illegitimate as no father added or assumed father which sometimes were added back then. But this info...
  11. H

hannah barratt 1766'

Hi all. I have been researching my 4x grandmother named Elizabeth Barratt baptised 4 Jan 1786 at St Phillips church Birmingham and found that she may have been illegitimate, her mother was Hannah Barratt born1766 in Brum but I cannot find her parents either. I was wondering if anyone has access...
  12. H

Arkinstall Bros , Galvanizers

Hi all. This is a letter from Arkinstalls to my grandfathers brother Thomas regiment about his conduct while on loan to them during the first world war. To me he is a right character but to them he must have been a liability the only excuse I can find is that my grandfather James died of wounds...
  13. H

Basket Manufacturing

Hi Rosiebdb, I have Hewitts who are in my family tree and look very much like yours they are living at 8 Smithfield St in 1891their names are William aged what looks like 48 his wife Emma aged 40 among his many children is a son named William aged 19 who is also a basket maker.They are all down...
  14. H

Bladon's blowlamps Birmingham

I started in the decorating trade in 1954 and they were in constant use then and the chaps I worked with then would carry them up ladders to burn off soffits etc and yet I cannot recall there being any accidents with fires believe it or not. In the late 50s Calor gas introduced their version...
  15. H

Wimbush Bakery

Hi Justin, I enjoyed reading your post as you knew the real Danny and his wonderful character. I knew him from infant school days as he was a member of our "gang" and for all his health problems he never let them hold him back. I visited him in the old Yardley Sanitorium when we were both about...
Back