• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by helenguimaraes

1. H

Tangyes of Smethwick

Hi Fluteplayeruk! It's a small world! I'm from DP too! I live in Dibden and my folks still live in DP. You'll probably tell me next that you live next door to them!! I'm afraid I haven't done any research for AGES, but I was trying to find out any info I could about Tangyes as my GGfather was...
  2. H

Marriage lookup - William Bayley and Esther Giles, Darleston.

It's ok, I've found it. Some thing else I didn't know about to help with research!!!I'd never have known about it if you hadn't helped me!!! THANK YOU!!!!
  3. H

Kaz Thanks a million!!! You're a star!!!! Can I ask a really stupid question? What exactly is freereg? Helen
  4. H

Hello I don't know if any one can help? - I can't find anything on IGI. I'm looking for a marriage between William Bayley b 1813-4, West Brom and Esther Giles b 1813-4, Darleston. Their oldest son (according to 1841 census) was born in 1838, so that should put their marriage anywhere between...
  5. H

St Martins look up for Louisa Jones 1840

Got the "Female Jones" birth cert today. Father was William Jones a wire drawer and mother was Martha Jones formally Sparkes. Eureka! Thanks ever so much for the "Female" Prompt - it is a very useful research tip. Thanks again guys!!!
  6. H

Tangyes of Smethwick

Yes this is very interesting - the Kellys reference for John Mountford 22 Brass House Pass was the census address for George Mountford's place of abode 1841 and 1851! John and James were his sons. (along with 10 other kids!) Thanks for the map, Mikejee! It certainly puts things in a better...
  7. H

I feel like Sherlock Holmes - Martha Jones is a widow in 1851 and in 1861 she has a nephew staying with her called George Spardes. Of course, I couldn't make this out except that her maiden name is Sparkes!!!! So it fits!!
  8. H

Tangyes of Smethwick

Very interesting - I just read Wendy's wonderful story about the Tangyes brothers and their history - where Richard worked in a small screw manufacturer in Brass House Passage. It just so happens that James Mountford's father, George, lived in Brass House Passage and was an engineer too. How big...
  9. H

Shera - Thank you - the Sparkes Martha looks like a strong possibility which is worth looking into. I am certainly aware of the Crawford Martha, Oxford seems a little far for them to go and get married in. My daughters think it's great that they are related to a Martha Jones!!!!!!:D (being avid...
  10. H

Thanks for such a prompt reply!!!!! Islington Row is where they lived so the record is her's, Thanks a lot!!!! I requested the West Bromich cert, but the father was not William, so no luck there!!!:(
  11. H

Tangyes of Smethwick

My grandfather was under the impression that his grandfather, James Mountford, worked for Tangyes as a engineer. The 1871 census shows that he was an engineer machinist employing 2 men and a boy. Does any one know if there is any way I could check past employees of tangyes?
  12. H

Hello I would be extreeeeeemly grateful if someone could look up the following for me:- Louisa Jones born 1840 - IGI shows a Louisa Jones born 21 Jan 1840 christened 2 March 1840 at St Martins. Her father is William Jones, a tool maker. 1841 census has Louisa, daughter of William Jones, a tool...
Back