• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heartland's latest activity

• Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Jim Crow.
    Yes Pedrocut has mentioned the plantation connection to the name "Jim Crow" and another link is the term crow bar, which is associated...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Tram terminus at Saltley.
    This postcard image is quite detailed, showing Saltley Road and the steam tram terminus where the track formed a loop around the...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Canal Street, Aston.
    I do not think this image is at the location stated. The reason being if the name on the building is Shropshire Union Railway & Canal...
    • SUnion.jpeg
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Brittle Street'', city.
    Interesting reference to a Timber yard, which was on the canal. For those who walk the Birmingham Canal at Gas Street Basin and go up...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Moseley Kings Heath Line.
    Yes, I agree with the wrong "Rail Advent" description, I have traveled on passenger trains along the route. Some, if I recall in BR days...
    • 182095.jpg
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Curzon Street Railway Station.
    I think also that 80 mph is a high speed. Yet trains do from time to time enter a station, which they are stopping at, with speed. In...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Black Country Museum.
    A better description of the lift bridge would be Factory railway interchange basin, which was built for the Oxford, Worcester &...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Bristol Street Brewery.
    Well I was going to put a chapter on Breweries into my book Workshop for the World, but with Joseph Mc Kenna book decided to leave it...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Morris Commercial Vehicles.
    The Morris Commercial Works started as the Wolseley Tool & Motor Co in 1901. Wolseley expanded their premises at different times and...
  • Heartland
    Dunlop purchased the Erdington factory site in 1916. They previously had the Para Mills and the Manor Mills at Aston. It is more likely...
  • Heartland
    I am waiting to see if those looking at the locomotive shed, find the underground coke storage and may be the 18 inch gauge railway that...
  • Heartland
    The Woodman and the Eagle & Tun were both popular for workers the British Rail Parcels Depot. NCL staff were used as delivery drivers...
  • Heartland
    There are some interesting views of the excavation, which it seems is still ongoing. The shed was probably taken down in the 1850's and...
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread Moseley Kings Heath Line.
    Yes, there was a trial using a train stopping at the station locations on Monday 16th 2020 as confirmed by the Rail Advent site.
  • Heartland
    Heartland replied to the thread 74 and 75 bus routes.
    Then there was the 70 that started from the Uplands
    • 100291.jpg