• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by gunmaker

1. G

St Chads Hospital, Hagley Road

Our daughter was born at St Chad's on 17th March 1963. She was 54 yesterday. I remember it well. My wife had gone into labour early that day and she was born not too long afterwards. I was not present at the birth, I don't think it was encouraged for fathers to be around then. I do remember...
  2. G

Coplow Street

Hi Vivienne. Are you the Vivienne I think you may be?
  3. G

Coplow Street

The lady in the picture is my Aunt Ida and the little girl is my cousin, Christine.
  4. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

I loved the photographs David, thanks for posting them. George Cooper in the "Executive Staff" photograph was my first foreman when I started my apprenticeship in January 1959 in Toolroom No 1. I also knew Wilf Wheate and ironically his nephew came to work in the depot I was at with Post Office...
  5. G

Old Bromford Lane

This is a image from a Birmingham map c1948-50. It shows Old Bromford Lane a bit clearer. Sorry the picture is small. The lane is to the left and lower than the number 34. Not sure why pic has appeared twice.
  6. G

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

During the 1950's my uncle, Harry Morgan, was the licencee of The Wellington, in Muntz Street. His wife's name was Elizabeth. Occasionally my dad used to go over on a Sunday to help out behind the bar. Sometimes we went with him. We lived in Ladywood at the time and marvelled at the large garden...
  7. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

trimbody I remember Dougie well. I made the dies for 3/8" split die heading machine in the corner of the heading shop. Tommy's surname was Lamb. I've remembered the surname of Ted, the tool grinder, in toolroom No1, it was Yarnell. berniew I knew Lennie Cash And Hoppy very well. I haven't...
  8. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

When I started my apprenticeship at Bradley's in April 1959 I too was placed in the No 1 toolroom with George Cooper, George Lamb, Jack Bradley & Ted. Can't recall Ted's surname. Next door was the electricians workshop with Bob the electrician and apprentice Peter. Bob was always smoking a pipe...
  9. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Charlie I can't picture Benny Mills and I certainly don't recall the mishap he had. The name sounds familiar though. I spoke to my brother yesterday and he told me about the time Douggie Matts came to work on a moped. It wasn't running too well and my brother helped him to try and sort it...
  10. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Charlie I haven't seen or heard about Lennie Cash for over 17 years now. I do have a 17 year old phone number for him so I may give it a try. I have him in my old BT book as L W Cash. Does that sound right to you? I don't recall Desmond Corcoran, Mickey Breen or Basil, but Benny Mills...
  11. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

I'm intrigued by the name Lennie Cash. In the 1970s until I finished in 1995 I was in charge of a group of electricians when I worked for BT. One of them was a Lennie Cash. I doubt he would have been the same person. If he was 15 in 1964 he would have been in his early 30s at the start of the...
  12. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

Things must have changed just after I left. I don't remember the canteen doing a delivery service. We didn't get Top of the Pops either. All we got was Worker's Playtime I think it was. Just read in Wiki that Worker's Playtime stopped in 1964. I remember the tannoy calling out "Calling Mr Clark"...
  13. G

dudley road, winson green

Hi lessped It's a small world isn't it? I'm afraid I don't recall too much about the Trevor family from No 7 The Shrubbery. I was born in 1943, the big 70 coming up later this year. Straight after the war ended my father was posted to Austria with the occupation forces. My Mother, sister and...
  14. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

Thanks for the pics. I must have been walking round with my eyes shut in those days as neither of you look familiar. I will ask my brother if he recognises either of you. The the heading machine you saw ahead coming down the stairs from the tool room was a split die machine I think. I thought...
  15. G

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Charlie Thanks for the reply Charlie. I didn't leave Bradley's until April 1965 so I should remember you but unfortunately I don't. You must have visited the tool room I worked in at some time if you were in the heading shop as we made the tools for the machines, or at least walked past it...
Back