• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by guilbert53

1. G

Disinterment and reinterments at Birmingham burial grounds

Not sure where to post this, but just seen the HS2 Archaeology group are doing a presentation on 15th September about their findings in the Park St burial ground. More here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/306412309300976655 You can see a list of all the HS2 related events here...
  2. G

Paradise development 2020

Like you Radiorails, I do wonder about the future of the Paradise site. When first announced it was due to be EIGHT office blocks (of various sizes) and ONE hotel. They have already announced that one of the office blocks will be replaced by an apartment buildings (The Octagon) so now only...
  3. G

Looking for a New Laptop

Seems it is used (with other keys) to type characters that are not on a persons keyboard. For example I used Alt Gr and the 4 key to type this Euro symbol - € (there are other methods for getting the Euro symbol) And I used Alt Gr and the letter o to type this - ó More about Alt Gr here...
  4. G

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

These "lost episodes" of Dads Army WERE made and they WERE transmitted back in the day (1969), with the original cast. They were 3 episodes of Dads Army series 2 shown in 1969. However back then shows were recorded on to VERY expensive video tapes and after a few years these tapes were wiped...
  5. G

Looking for a New Laptop

Neville, one place you can look for laptop deals (in fact any sort of deals) is a website called "HotUKDeals" Anyone (any member of the public) can publish details of a deal, and then people can "vote" on it to decide if it is a hot deal or not. Here is the web site in the "Laptop" section...
  6. G

Looking for a New Laptop

Dell Outlet is an interesting site (it is an official Dell site). Here they sell old stock, returned items etc but I think they also sell "new" items if they have a backlog in their warehouse. I have bought numerous Dell desktops and laptops from there for me and my family and they have all...
  7. G

Computer help please.

If you want to put an SSD in place of a hard disk in a desktop PC here is some info. SSDs are more expensive per GB than a hard disk. So a 1TB desktop hard disk may cost you only around £35 but a 1TB SSD may cost you around £100 (prices do vary across brands of course). However SSDs have no...
  8. G

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Seeing the link to the Mamas and Papas song Monday Monday above here is a funny item from the comedy series called "The Sketch Show" featuring Lee Mack and others. It is based on the Mamas and Papas song "California Dreamin"
  9. G

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

One of the most amazing programs I have ever seen on TV is "The Rise of the Continents" presented by geologist Prof Iain Stewart. He goes all over the world looking at the shape and position of all the continents and explains why the land mass is where it is and why it is the shape it is (why...
  10. G

Nice to know the 4 original members of the Seekers are still alive. Judith is 77, the others 78-80. The video of Georgy Girl I posted above was at their farewell concerts on the BBC as Judith was leaving the group to have a solo career. The rest of the band did tour with different members...
  11. G

The BBC channel BBC 4 had a program on last night called "Easy listening hits at the BBC" (it is available on BBC iPlayer or on Catch Up on Sky). Featured a whole range of songs and artists, but one of the songs was Georgy Girl by the Seekers. I will admit that I thought The Seekers were a bit...
  12. G

Situation Comedy

A few people on here have mentioned being fans of Tony Hancock. If so note TODAY (Saturday 22nd August 2020) they are showing The Punch and Judy Man with Tony Hancock on the TV channel Talking Pictures. Talking Pictures is available on most TV platforms - Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin...
  13. G

Windows 10

I don't believe in Windows 10 HOME you can stop updates, just limit when they are installed. If you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (as opposed to Home) you have more control over Windows updates. See if this article helps (note when it mention Group Policy I believe that is only available in Pro...
  14. G

Birmingham Co-op Belmont Row

As it was such a lovely sunny day today (Thursday 20th August 2020) I decided to go up to Birmingham for the first time in months. Here are some photos of the Belmont Row factory. This development is called SteamHouse 2 and is a Birmingham City University project. It will be home for the...
  15. G

Paradise development 2020

As it was such a lovely sunny day today (Thursday 20th August 2020) I decided to go up to Birmingham for the first time in months. Here are some photos of the Paradise development. Photo 1 below is Two Chamberlain Square. I believe currently only the top two floors have been taken, but I guess...
Back