• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Gord

1. G

Sacred Heart Catholic School Witton Road

Hi Molly, I was there from 1943 to 1951 when I moved to Birchfield Road School. I had all those teachers you mentioned. I don't recall your name but some of my classmates were Douglas Jukes, Brian Bull, Dennis Thorniwork, Desmond Morgan, Pat Collins, Pat Naven, Peter Butler, Michael Philbin. I...
  2. G

Midland Educational

Loved the Midland Educational. I still have a book of tables and a slide rule that I used throughout my technical school days.
  3. G

Newey Bros. Ltd.

In the 1950's my soon to be father in law worked at Winson Green "Mental" Hospital and his patients did piece work for Neweys putting fasteners into cards. To make the process easier I made up some jigs which put the fasteners in the right location to be pressed into the cards.
  4. G

Madam Amies Dance School

I believe that was Enid Goodwins. The nicknames were Goldie and Wallflower amongst others.
  5. G

Wolseley Motors, Ward End works

I worked at Nuffields from 1953 to 1955 and the Wolseley was still being built at that time. The factory existed prior to WWII, and during the war the main toolroom produced the Crusader tank. Even in 1953 there were still lots of remnants from wartime production such as shell cases. I was...
  6. G

St James Church Frederick road Aston

I also have a picture I took in 1970 of Mrs. Howes and Nobby Clark who dislodged the St. James Church bell back in the mid fifties.
  7. G

St James Church Frederick road Aston

If anyone is still interested I have some pictures taken inside St. James and a recording of a Christmas album once made there. Gord
  8. G

Air Raid in Aston - Albert, Frederick and Victoria Roads

Lyn, I have written extensively about my childhood experiences in Aston and Birmingham, as part of an autobiography for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. As a result I have researched and accumulated a lot of historical information as well as anecdotes and pictures which would...
  9. G

Hi Lyn, I couldn't find Paddington Street on my map so I guess it has gone. I used to take the Perry Common #5 or Perry Common Court Lane #5a into town from Witton Road via Alma Street, Summer Lane and Snow Hill. As kids we would sometimes go to the terminus in Court Lane and the "clippie" would...
  10. G

Thank you so much for all the information. Strangely my surname is Hughes but we were not related to those killed. Where in Aston did you live? Gordon
  11. G

It looks like I came a bit late to this party. Anyway regarding the Ettington Road bombing, I lived on the corner of Grange Road opposite the firestation and was in our air raid shelter when Ettington Road was bombed. As kids we rummaged around the site afterwards looking for "buried treasure."...
  12. G

Witton and Aston Barber Shops

My local barber was Norman Blizzard on Witton Roadjust up from the corner of Mansfeild Road. Mr. Blizzard was a nice man but you never really knewwhat kind of a cut you would end up with. The best you could hope for was thatit wouldn’t be the “thirty-nine steps” or a “pudding basin” cut which...
  13. G

John, I'm not sure where Michael lived but it was over that way somewhere. A lot of kids at the Sacred Heart came from the Upper Thomas Street area, I think Bobby Morris, Peter Butler and Bernard Foxall were in that area. It's strange how all these name are coming back after all these years. I...
  14. G

Hi there "GG Jean," Thanks for the info. but I don't recognize the name, although I did know a few people on Witton Road. I lived on the corner of Grange Road right opposite the Sacred Heart. The Saturday night dances at the church hall were a mad house. You could always count on a fight at...
Back