• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by glynis

1. G

An unidentified object on a disused churchyard

Body snatchers rarely dug up bodies but stole them from crypts where they were supposed to be protected. They generally had a deal going with whoever had been paid for ensuring the bodies did not disappear!! This was a scam that went on till the act was passed that allowed people to leave...
  2. G

Science Museum Newhall Street

Outside the plating works was a large glasshouse where he grew orchids, Mr Elkington was a member of the Birmingham Botanical and Horticultural Society's Orchid group and is recorded as showing prize - winning blooms on more than one occasion. Industrialists had to pay 2'6 to enter a show though...
  3. G

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

I was living in Tipton at the time, my dad had a lovely warm job working as a furnaceman, we had to walk to school as we did every day, we started out earlier and when we got to school were allowed to keep our coats on in class as there was no heating, we weren'r sent home, good jobg really as...
  4. G

Grey Peas and Bacon

My brother makes the best gray pays un bercon yo've ever tersted!!! My mom passed on the recipe and gave me the recipe for her home - made faggots.... though you can't by a set of lights and any kel at any of the butchers round here anymore!!
  5. G

Brummie Ghosts

I don't believe in ghosts either but I did have an 'experience' when I used to help out my friend at edwards No 8 nightclub. They had a couple of residential 'ghosts' one of which had all the door staff scared to death, they called her 'Mary' but the most interesting one was the roof guy...
  6. G

Winterbourne House & Garden

JS Nettlefold married MARGARET Chamberlain not Martha!!
  7. G

Birmingham Cinemas

Yes Derek I did, I only went there once. At the time I was working with my (then) husband who did lighting for bands, we travelled an awful lot and didn't get much free time. I remember that there was more than one screen though, so it was quite well adapted even then.
  8. G

Birmingham Cinemas

Yes!! The Capitol!! I remember now!!
  9. G

Online Gutenberg Library: Pen making by Henry Bore

Those images look very like the ones created by Walter Langley for the Perry's Pens catalogue. Walter was an artist who was apprenticed to a Lithographer in the Jewellery Quarter, his mother took in washing so that he could go to art classes in Birmingham, he went on to start the art colony at...
  10. G

1st touch on a Computer

We bought an Amstrad word processor about 1984 ish, wasn't interested till I got some desk top publishing software!! I also got an accounting package and kept the books for my then husband's company. I taught myself to use it, it was easy enough.. I remember my first scanner, a little unit...
  11. G

Unable to view forum images

Make sure your version of Adobe Flash is up to date as well as this can stop images being viewed properly.
  12. G

Birmingham Cinemas

There was a cinema in Alum Rock that I went to on a couple of occasions when I lived near there (Bamville road). Can't recall the name of it though, opposite end of the Alum Rock road to the cinema that was turned into the Rock bingo hall (Run by Top Rank, long since demolished!!)
  13. G

Painting restoration & framing in Brum?

Something I just remembered, (not restoring paintings) is that if anyone needs a book re-binding the University of Birmingham has a book binding department!!
  14. G

Painting restoration & framing in Brum?

I think the guy from Kestrel has retired try googling the restoration register for a professional or ask at the BM&AG / Dollman street centre for advice.
  15. G

Aston Manor Transport Museum

I bet that the council have had enquiries about developing the area, thats why they are being so ridiculous with their estimates!! I will see if I can find an address we can all write to in support of the museum. We owe them a big thank you for their history buses every month!!
Back