• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Glen C. Phillips

1. G

Cutler - Glass Merchants

Yes, Nellie Cutler did live in Clevedon. I remember visiting her in 1974, when my father and I made the trip from Canada to England. I was six but distinctly recall two things from that visit. One, my father and I made a "daisy-chain" necklace out of clover, I think, for her. Two, she was very...
  2. G

Cutler - Glass Merchants

A belated thanks.
  3. G

Barnby's

Thomas Barnby married Marianne Bendall in 1866. Marianne's sister, and one of my great-great-grandmothers, Eliza Louisa Bendall, married William Cutler on Jan. 31, 1869. Here are some Thomas Barnby documents I have found: 1) Thomas Barnby and Marianne Bendall's marriage announcement (Cheltenham...
  4. G

William Phillips, Stamper, Piercer, Diesinker, toolmaker, etc., Hockley St.

I'm seeking information about William Phillips (1840-1921). From at least the early 1890s until his death, he owned a factory on Hockley St. His son, John Edwin Phillips later ran the factory before going bankrupt in the 1930s. I descend from William's third oldest boy, Alfred Ernest Phillips...
  5. G

Cutler Solomon looking for any info

Added some docs re. Solomon Cutler here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cutler-glass-merchants.9436/
  6. G

Cutler - Glass Merchants

I descend from Solomon Cutler, Birmingham glass merchant, now of Broad St. pub fame. Many Cutlers were in the glass industry, as manufacturers, benders, cutters, wholesale/retail merchants, and secondary processors (using glass to make other things, such as garden seed boxes, aquariums, mirrors...
Back